Equation of Perpendicular Line to Tangent Line at f(x)= x√x P(1,1)

Also you need to make sure you write exactly what you mean. You do not want a + h√a + h. You want (a + h)√(a + h).
Maliken

Homework Statement

find the equation of the line perpendicular to the tangent line at the given point f(x)= x√x P(1,1)

Homework Equations

f(a+h) - f(a) / h

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so first i replace (f(a) and f(a+h) in the equation x√x, and then i get

1. a+h√a+h - a√a / h, then i rationalize the numerator and then i get
2. a+h)^2(a+h) - a^2(a) / h(a+h)√a+h + a√a

and if i try expanding this etc i just get indeterminate form.. where did i go wrong ?i still get indeterminate form even after using 1 instead of a

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and btw i haven't learned derivatives, so i have to use limits

Maliken said:

Homework Statement

find the equation of the line perpendicular to the tangent line at the given point f(x)= x√x P(1,1)

Homework Equations

f(a+h) - f(a) / h
Your formula needs more parentheses. What you wrote means
$$f(a + h) - \frac{f(a)}{h}$$
There need to be parentheses around the entire numerator, like so: (f(a+h) - f(a)) / h
To look really nice, you can use LaTeX (see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-3977517)

Maliken said:

Both the above are really hard to read, due to many missing parentheses. For one, the entire numerator needs parentheses around it. For another, a + h√a + h doesn't mean what you intend, which is that a + h is multiplying √(a + h). Also, in #2, you are missing a left parenthesis at the beginning of the line.
Maliken said:
and if i try expanding this etc i just get indeterminate form.. where did i go wrong ?i still get indeterminate form even after using 1 instead of a
Please rewrite the two expressions above so that we can read them.

Maliken said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f(a+h) - f(a) / h

You definitely do NOT want what you wrote, which was
[tex] f(a+h)- \frac{f(a)}{h}[/tex]
Can you see how to write things properly?

ok I am sorry lol i didnt know about latex , i got it though so thanks i guess

i forgot to expand one of my binomials

Maliken said:
ok I am sorry lol i didnt know about latex , i got it though so thanks i guess

i forgot to expand one of my binomials

You do not need LaTeX; you need parentheses, like this: [f(a+h) - f(a)]/h. You need to make sure that when your expressions are read by standard parsing rules they come out saying what you want. Remember: multiplication and division have higher priority than addition and subtraction, etc.

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function "approaches" but does not actually reach at a specific input value.

Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is undefined at that point. They are also essential in calculating derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental tools in calculus.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, we use algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying to manipulate the function into a form that we can easily evaluate. We also use graphical and numerical methods to visualize and approximate the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from only one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from both directions.

What are some common types of limits in calculus?

Some common types of limits in calculus include polynomial limits, rational limits, exponential limits, logarithmic limits, and trigonometric limits. These types of limits involve different algebraic manipulations and techniques to evaluate.