Max Horizontal Force: Calculate with Cam Setup & Motor Torque

• Thread starter jeffc0987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cam
In summary, the maximum horizontal force that the cam is able to produce on a pushrod, based on the known motor torque and RPM's, is estimated to be 150lb. This seems higher than expected, and the angle of rotation phi should be measured from the center of where the torque is applied, not the center of the cam. The force in the X direction is expected to be a fraction of the total torque based on the distance between the center and where the cam touches the pushrod. Assistance in understanding this problem would be appreciated.
jeffc0987
I am having to figure out the maximum horizontal force our cam is able to produce on a pushrod that slides back and forth through bushings. I have attached a picture showing the basic setup.

The motor torque, and RPM's are known and for this estimate I am ignoring frictional forces.

I'm not sure if I'm making this out to be way more complicated than it should be, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Cam Example.png
    Cam Example.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 487
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm still having trouble with this problem because testing shows this setup (picture attached) can produce up to ~150lb. of force using 84 lb*in of torque. This seems way too high--shouldn't it only be able to produce near that amount of force in the X direction when phi=90 and the entire force from the torque is directed that way?

I would have assumed the force in the X direction would be a fraction of the total torque based on the distance between the center and where the cam touches the pushrod.

Any thoughts?
[EDIT]
the angle of rotation phi should be off of the center of where the torque is applied, not the center of the cam.

Attachments

• Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 339

Related to Max Horizontal Force: Calculate with Cam Setup & Motor Torque

1. What is max horizontal force?

Max horizontal force is the maximum amount of force that can be applied in a horizontal direction without causing the system to fail or become unstable.

2. How is max horizontal force calculated?

Max horizontal force is calculated by taking into account the cam setup and motor torque. The formula for calculating max horizontal force is: Max Horizontal Force = Cam Setup x Motor Torque.

3. What is a cam setup?

A cam setup is a mechanism that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a cam, which is a rotating element with an irregular shape, and a follower, which moves in a linear direction as the cam rotates.

4. What is motor torque?

Motor torque is the rotational force produced by an electric motor. It is a measure of the amount of force that the motor can apply to rotate an object around an axis.

5. How does max horizontal force affect the stability of a system?

The max horizontal force is an important factor in determining the stability of a system. If the applied horizontal force exceeds the max horizontal force, the system may become unstable and fail. Therefore, it is crucial to calculate and consider the max horizontal force when designing a system to ensure its stability and safety.