Simple Circuits: Calculating Power in a Complex Circuit

• Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the power delivered to (or dissipated by) R1 in a circuit with multiple resistors. The equations V=IR and P=I^2R are mentioned and the attempt at solving the problem using equivalence resistance is described. However, the speaker is advised to use Kirchhoff's Laws for a complete analysis.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/PJVmXEc

Calculate the power delivered to (or dissipated by) R1

Homework Equations

V=IR
P=I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to calculate the equivalence resistance by doing... 2+(2^-1+4^-1+4^-1)^-1 = and I get 3.

I later calculate a current of 36.67Amps, and a power of 2688 watts. What did I do wrong.

then I tr

Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried... 60-2I2-4I2=0, 60-2I1-4I3=0, 110 -2I4-2I1=0

zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/PJVmXEc

Calculate the power delivered to (or dissipated by) R1

Homework Equations

V=IR
P=I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to calculate the equivalence resistance by doing... 2+(2^-1+4^-1+4^-1)^-1 = and I get 3.

I later calculate a current of 36.67Amps, and a power of 2688 watts. What did I do wrong.

then I tr

attachment.php?attachmentid=66801&stc=1&d=1392865179.png

(Posting the image makes it more likely that someone will reply to your question.)

This cannot be analyzed as a parallel/series circuit. That sort of method can only be used to replace R2 & R3 by considering them to be in parallel (for this circuit.)

Use Kirchhoff's Laws for the complete analysis.

Attachments

• PJVmXEc.png
    PJVmXEc.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 756

FAQ: Simple Circuits: Calculating Power in a Complex Circuit

1. What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a path through which electricity can flow. It consists of a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or power supply, connected to a load, such as a light bulb, and wires that connect the two together.

2. How does a simple circuit work?

A simple circuit works by allowing electricity to flow from the source, through the wires, and into the load. The load then converts the electrical energy into light, heat, or movement, depending on the type of load. The electricity then returns to the source, completing the circuit.

3. What are the components of a simple circuit?

A simple circuit typically consists of three main components: a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or power supply, conductors, such as wires, and a load, such as a light bulb or motor. Some circuits may also include switches, resistors, or other components.

4. How do you calculate the voltage in a simple circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a simple circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V = I x R. You can also measure the voltage using a voltmeter, a device specifically designed for measuring voltage.

5. How can you make a simple circuit more complex?

A simple circuit can be made more complex by adding additional components, such as switches, resistors, or capacitors. These components can alter the flow of electricity and allow for more control over the circuit. Additionally, multiple simple circuits can be connected together to create a more complex circuit with different functions and capabilities.

Back