Simple differentiation problem, brainfart

In summary, the given problem involves finding the simplified form of \frac{cos3x+sin3x}{cos3x-sin3x} using trigonometric identities. By expanding the quadratics and using the identities sin(u)cos(u) = (1/2)sin(2u) and cos(u)^{2} - sin(u)^{2} = cos(2u), the problem can be simplified to -3sin(3x)*cos(3x) + 3 -3cos(3x)*sin(3x) on the top and cos(3x)^{2}-sin(3x)^{2}-2sin(3x)cos(3x) on the
James889
Hai,

I have the easiest problem but I am stuck at the last step, simplification.

[tex]\frac{cos3x+sin3x}{cos3x-sin3x}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{aligned}
F(x) = cos(3x)+sin(3x)\\
F'(x) = -3sin(3x)+3cos(3x) \\
G(x) = cos(3x)-sin(3x) \\
G'(x) = -3sin(3x)-3cos(3x)\end{aligned}
[/tex]

This gives [tex]\frac{(-3sin(3x)+3cos(3x))*(cos(3x)-sin(3x))+(cos(3x)+sin(3x))*(cos(3x)-sin(3x))}{(cos(3x)-sin(3x))^2}[/tex]

But how would i simplify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the quadratics and look for identities. Already I can find sin^2 + cos^2 identities on both the top and bottom.

Also, it will help to remember that sin(u)cos(u) = (1/2)sin(2u)

Okay, after some more trying:

I was able to reduce the first part[tex](-3sin(3x)+3cos(3x))(cos(3x)-sin(3x))[/tex]
Down to:
[tex]-3sin(3x)*cos(3x) + 3 -3cos(3x)*sin(3x)[/tex]

And the second part:[tex](cos(3x)+sin(3x))*(cos(3x)-sin(3x))[/tex]
Down to:
[tex]cos(3x)^{2}-sin(3x)^{2}-2sin(3x)cos(3x)[/tex]

Is that any better?

James889 said:
Okay, after some more trying:

I was able to reduce the first part[tex](-3sin(3x)+3cos(3x))(cos(3x)-sin(3x))[/tex]
Down to:
-3sin(3x)*cos(3x) + 3 -3cos(3x)*sin(3x)

And the second part:[tex](cos(3x)+sin(3x))*(cos(3x)-sin(3x))[/tex]
Down to:
cos(3x)^{2}-sin(3x)^{2}-2sin(3x)cos(3x)

Is that any better?

Take note of AUMathtutor's comment

Also, naturally,

cos(u)^{2} - sin(u)^{2} = cos(2u)

What is a simple differentiation problem?

A simple differentiation problem involves finding the derivative of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate the rate of change of a variable.

What is a brainfart?

A brainfart, also known as a mental lapse or mental block, is a temporary inability to remember or think clearly. It is often caused by stress, fatigue, or distractions.

How do you solve a simple differentiation problem?

To solve a simple differentiation problem, you must first identify the independent variable in the function. Then, use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the product rule, to find the derivative. Finally, simplify the expression to get the final answer.

Why do people experience brainfarts?

Brainfarts can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as lack of sleep, stress, anxiety, or even boredom. They are a normal part of human cognition and can be overcome by taking a break, practicing mindfulness, or engaging in activities that stimulate the brain.

Can brainfarts be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent brainfarts, there are ways to minimize their occurrence. These include getting enough sleep, managing stress levels, practicing good nutrition and exercise, and engaging in activities that challenge the brain.