Build Simple Electric Motor | 1500+ RPM | Copper Wires, 1.5V Battery

In summary: RPM.. Maybe because of the alignment of the magnets. But I'm satisfied with the outcome :DIn summary, the conversation revolved around creating a simple electric motor using limited materials such as copper wires, a battery, magnets, thumbtacks, and paper clips. The goal was to achieve a speed of 1500 RPM or more, but it was noted that this may be difficult due to the imbalance in the rotor and the limited materials available. Suggestions were made to use stronger magnets and to experiment with different materials to improve the motor's efficiency. Safety precautions were also mentioned, and ultimately, the final result was a video showcasing a trial run of the motor, achieving a speed of approximately 450-500 RPM.
sharm8

Homework Statement

Hello ! I'm making a simple electric motor. Using copper wires and 1.5V battery.
2 magnets, 2 thumbtacks, 1 block of wood, 2 paper clips, and approximately 2m of insulated copper wire.
-The diameter of the loop must be 1"
CAN'T use other materials, only the above listed.

Homework Equations

I just want to ask what do I need to do to have 1500 RPM or more.. Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

-Maybe the setup/orientation will be a factor.
-See the uploaded file.

Attachments

• Untitledk.png
    Untitledk.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 583
Physics news on Phys.org
sharm8 said:

Homework Statement

Hello ! I'm making a simple electric motor. Using copper wires and 1.5V battery.
2 magnets, 2 thumbtacks, 1 block of wood, 2 paper clips, and approximately 2m of insulated copper wire.

Homework Equations

-See the uploaded file.
Hi sharm8, thank you for the diagram

For maximum speed I think you should aim to minaturize it, and make the rotating part as symmetrical and evenly balanced as you can. Use strong magnets, and a large sized battery. The big cells (D cells or bigger) are still only 1.5 volts but they can supply more current. If your copper wire is thin, perhaps run two strands together as one so it acts as though it is thicker copper.

You'll have no idea how fast it will spin, you just have to construct it using good techniques, then run it and see how it turns out.

Post a photo when you have it working.

Good luck!

sharm8 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-See the uploaded file.

A speed of 1500 RPM is pretty ambitious. You should set your sights on getting the motor to turn.
At a speed of 1500 RPM, a motor fabricated by hand is going to have a lot of imbalance in the rotor. Even if you were to achieve this speed, the motor would probably destroy itself due to vibration in short order.

NascentOxygen said:
For maximum speed I think you should aim to minaturize it, and make the rotating part as symmetrical and evenly balanced as you can. Use strong magnets, and a large sized battery. The big cells (D cells or bigger) are still only 1.5 volts but they can supply more current. If your copper wire is thin, perhaps run two strands together as one so it acts as though it is thicker copper.

You'll have no idea how fast it will spin, you just have to construct it using good techniques, then run it and see how it turns out.

Post a photo when you have it working.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice, it will be a big help! :D
I think I will be using subwoofer magnet.
Thanks again, I will update you as soon as I finished it :D

SteamKing said:
A speed of 1500 RPM is pretty ambitious. You should set your sights on getting the motor to turn.
At a speed of 1500 RPM, a motor fabricated by hand is going to have a lot of imbalance in the rotor. Even if you were to achieve this speed, the motor would probably destroy itself due to vibration in short order.

Haha yeah you're right. But every 100 RPM, I will have 1 point. haha.. I guess there's no harm in trying..

sharm8 said:
Haha yeah you're right. But every 100 RPM, I will have 1 point. haha.. I guess there's no harm in trying..
Wear safety glasses when you're testing it it!

The strength of the magnets changes the efficiency of the motor (and that might be a factor here) but in general stronger magnets make the no load speed slower. The motor will accelerate from rest until the back emf equals the applied voltage. If you increase the strength of the magnets the back emf increases so it matches the applied voltage at a lower rpm. Best experiment with different magnets.

gneill said:
Wear safety glasses when you're testing it it!
Noted :)

CWatters said:
The strength of the magnets changes the efficiency of the motor (and that might be a factor here) but in general stronger magnets make the no load speed slower. The motor will accelerate from rest until the back emf equals the applied voltage. If you increase the strength of the magnets the back emf increases so it matches the applied voltage at a lower rpm. Best experiment with different magnets.
Nice idea. thanks :) I will have different magnets.

the problem with 1500RPM is: with the limited materials you are allowed to use even if you use a near perfectly turned center piece to coil on you only have paper clips and thumbtacks to hold it in place while it spins neither of which will make a solid or even balanced axle.

dragoneyes001 said:
the problem with 1500RPM is: with the limited materials you are allowed to use even if you use a near perfectly turned center piece to coil on you only have paper clips and thumbtacks to hold it in place while it spins neither of which will make a solid or even balanced axle.
Use 16d (16 penny) thumbtacks :D

rebar sized paper clips?

dragoneyes001 said:
rebar sized paper clips?
There you go...

I'd have to say 10k/rpm claimed is still a stretch but the idea of using the magnet to attach the screw to the battery was a nice touch removes half the instability of the shaft.

Well done!

Thanks for posting. http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a simple electric motor work?

A simple electric motor works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When a current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. By placing a permanent magnet near the wire, the magnetic field produced by the current interacts with the permanent magnet, causing the wire to rotate. This rotation can be harnessed to power machines and devices.

2. What materials do I need to build a simple electric motor?

To build a simple electric motor, you will need copper wire, a magnet, a battery, and a small piece of cardboard. You may also need a small piece of sandpaper to sand the ends of the wire for better conductivity.

3. What is the purpose of using copper wire in a simple electric motor?

Copper wire is used in a simple electric motor because it is a good conductor of electricity. This means that it allows the current to flow easily, creating a strong magnetic field and effectively powering the motor.

4. How can I increase the speed of my simple electric motor?

There are a few ways to increase the speed of a simple electric motor. You can increase the voltage of the battery, use a stronger magnet, or use thinner copper wire with more turns. However, be cautious as increasing the speed too much can damage the motor.

5. Can I use different types of batteries for my simple electric motor?

Yes, you can use different types of batteries for your simple electric motor. However, the voltage and size of the battery may affect the speed and performance of the motor. It is best to use a battery with a voltage close to the recommended 1.5V.