1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple electrostatics

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    I've got the following problem:
    1) We've got a charge -Q at location at the origin and two charges of the same magnitude but opposite sign at [tex](a,0,0)[/tex] and [tex](0,a,0)[/tex]. Determine the total force on the charge at the origin.

2) We've got the same charge -Q at the origin but now a charge of 2Q at [tex](a,a,0)[/tex]. Again, determine the force on the charge at the origin.
    Then compare your answer to the previous question

The first thing I did was to calculate the seperate forces and then add them together.

[tex]\vec{F}_1 = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q^2}{a^2} \hat{x}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{F}_2 = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q^2}{a^2} \hat{y}[/tex]

So the total force is given by
    [tex]\vec{F} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q^2}{a^2} (\hat{x}+\hat{y})[/tex]

Now for the second question the distance between the two charges is given by [tex]\sqrt{a^2+a^2}[/tex], so the force is given by
    [tex]\vec{F} = \frac{2Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{a\hat{x} + a\hat{y}}{(a^2+a^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{2Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{a\hat{x} + a\hat{y}}{2\sqrt{2}a^3} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q^2}{a^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{x} + \hat{y})[/tex]

Now I would like to ask you if these calculations are really correct? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Perfectly correct. You may want to write your answer as a magnitude times a unit vector:
    [tex]\vec{F} = \sqrt{2} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q^2}{a^2} [\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{x}+\hat{y})][/tex]

Again, perfectly correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?