What is the relationship between two random variables X and Y?

In summary: That's all.In summary, the conversation discusses random variables Y and X, where E(Y) = a and E(X) = 0.5*E(Y) = 0.5*a. The correct expression for E(X) is E(X|Y=y) = 0.5*y, and this implies that E(X) = a*E(Y). However, knowing the expectation of a random variable does not give any information about its variance. To calculate the covariance of X and Y, the value of E[XY] is needed.
jimmy1
I have a random variable Y that represents the size of a population. I know that the expectation E(Y) = a.
Now suppose, I have another random variable X that represents the number of people in that population that have a certain disease. The expectation is that on average half the population have the disease.

So, I was wondering which of the following would correctly describe the random variable X

1) E(X|Y) = 0.5*Y
2) E(X) = 0.5*E(Y) = 0.5*a
3) E(X) = 0.5*Y

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmy1 said:
I have a random variable Y that represents the size of a population. I know that the expectation E(Y) = a.
Now suppose, I have another random variable X that represents the number of people in that population that have a certain disease. The expectation is that on average half the population have the disease.

So, I was wondering which of the following would correctly describe the random variable X

1) E(X|Y) = 0.5*Y
3) E(X) = 0.5*Y
Aren't (1) and (3) nonsensical?

Of course, you haven't considered things like E(X | Y = y) = 0.5 y...

Honestly, I would say that the problem is badly stated. My best literal translation is that the problem states your option (3) -- but as I said, that expression is nonsensical; Y is a probability measure and E(X) is a number. They aren't even the same kind of object, so it doesn't even make sense to ask if they are equal!

Aren't (1) and (3) nonsensical?

Yes, sorry my notation was bad. What I meant by the "Y" in (1) and (3) was the value of the random variable Y. So perhaps, I could restate it like

1) E(X|Y=y) = 0.5*y
3) E(X) = 0.5*y

Perhaps that makes a bit more sense??

(3) doesn't make any sense if you're not told what y is, if we know y is what Y came out to be, then it's the same as (1) again. Interesting note, if (1) is true, then

[tex]E(X) = \sum_{y=1}^{ \infty } E(X|Y=y)P(Y=y)[/tex] which comes out to be [tex]\sum_{y=1}^{ \infty } (1/2)y*P(Y=y)=1/2 \sum_{y=1}^{ \infty }y*P(Y=y)[/tex] which by definition is 1/2*E(Y). So (1) implies (2), hence if (1) correctly describes X, so does (2). By the Law of Only One Right Answer, (1) cannot be correct, and hence it must be (2).

However, if the question was intended to be "which of the following best represents the information given in the problem" I would go with (1)

jimmy1 said:
Yes, sorry my notation was bad. What I meant by the "Y" in (1) and (3) was the value of the random variable Y. So perhaps, I could restate it like

1) E(X|Y=y) = 0.5*y
3) E(X) = 0.5*y

Perhaps that makes a bit more sense??
Well, this (3) is also nonsensical.

I would like to make a correction; I no longer think E(X|Y)=0.5*Y is nonsensical. If you set f(y) = E(X|Y=y), then I think it's not unreasonable to read the expression E(X|Y) as denoting the random variable f(Y).

(it would be nice sometime to see a formal grammar for this stuff, but ah well)

The problem with the statement of the problem is that it describes a multivariate distribution -- you have a joint distribution on the outcomes of X and Y. When it says "on average" without further qualification, you would naturally assume this means to average over the entire joint outcome space. But since "half the population" is a random variable, it doesn't make sense to equate the two.

So, the problem is how to reinterpret what is said...

If forced to guess the author's meaning, I would assume what he really meant is the marginal expectation -- "For each population outcome, the expectation is that on average..." -- in which case your old (1) and your new (1) are both adequate descriptions.
(And from which (2) is a consequence!)

Hurkyl said:
If forced to guess the author's meaning, I would assume what he really meant is the marginal expectation -- "For each population outcome, the expectation is that on average..." -- in which case your old (1) and your new (1) are both adequate descriptions.
(And from which (2) is a consequence!)

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.
So, given that E(X) = a*E(Y) is the correct expression, am I right in concluding that the variance Var(X) = a*Var(Y)?

Also from this can I deduce anyting for the covariance Cov(X,Y)?? That is, is there a simple solution for Cov(X,Y)?

Last edited:
jimmy1 said:
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.
So, given that E(X) = a*E(Y) is the correct expression, am I right in concluding that the variance Var(X) = a*Var(Y)?
Absolutely not. Get it out of your head right now that knowing the expectation of a random variable tells you anything at all about it's variance.

Also from this can I deduce anyting for the covariance Cov(X,Y)?? That is, is there a simple solution for Cov(X,Y)?
Or its covariance with another random variable.

In fact, simple counterexamples are extremely easy to produce. Try playing with random variables that have only one or two outcomes.

1. What is a simple expectation question?

A simple expectation question is a type of question that asks for an individual's expectations or predictions about a certain outcome or situation. It usually starts with phrases like "What do you think will happen?" or "What do you expect to see?"

2. How do simple expectation questions differ from other types of questions?

Unlike other types of questions that seek factual information or opinions, simple expectation questions specifically focus on an individual's expectations or predictions. They are often used in research studies to gather insights about people's thought processes and potential outcomes.

3. What are some examples of simple expectation questions?

Examples of simple expectation questions include: "What do you expect the weather to be like tomorrow?" "How do you think technology will change in the next 10 years?" "What do you think will be the outcome of the upcoming election?"

4. How can simple expectation questions be used in research?

Simple expectation questions can be used in research to gather data on people's expectations, predictions, and thought processes. This information can be analyzed and used to make informed decisions or predictions in various fields such as psychology, marketing, and economics.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using simple expectation questions in research?

Like any research method, simple expectation questions have their limitations. One potential drawback is that they rely on individuals' perceptions and expectations, which may not always be accurate or reliable. Additionally, these questions may not be suitable for gathering factual information or opinions, and may require follow-up questions for clarification.