Simple first-order series solution

In summary, the question is about solving the equation y' - xy = 0 using series solutions. The attempt at a solution involved using y = Ʃ from 0 to infinity a_n x^n and finding a recurrence relation of a1 = 0 and (k+1)a_(k+1) - a_(k-1) = 0. This can be continued to find a_n for even values, with a formula involving a factorial likely emerging.
th3chemist

Homework Statement

The question is y' - xy = 0
I have to solve it using series solutions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I use y = Ʃ from 0 to infinity a_n x^n and took the derivative. I plugged it into the equation

I got the recurrence relation to be a1 = 0 and (k+1)a_(k+1) - a_(k-1) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
th3chemist said:

Homework Statement

The question is y' - xy = 0
I have to solve it using series solutions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I use y = Ʃ from 0 to infinity a_n x^n and took the derivative. I plugged it into the equation

I got the recurrence relation to be a1 = 0 and (k+1)a_(k+1) - a_(k-1) = 0

Assuming that your work is correct (can't tell because you don't show it), then consider a0 to be arbitrary, and find a2 in terms of a0. a3 will be zero because a1 is. Continue finding a4, a6, and so on, in terms of a0.

That is, if [itex]a_0[/itex] is the inital value, taking k= 1, [itex]2a_2= a_0[/itex] so [itex]a_2= a_0/2[/itex]. Then taking k= 2 [itex]3a_3= a_1= 0[/itex] so [itex]a_3= 0[/itex]. Taking k= 3, [itex]4a_4= a_2= a_0/2[/itex] so [itex]a_4= a_0/8[/itex]. Taking k= 4, [itex]5a_5= a_3= 0[/itex] so [itex]a_5= 0[/itex]. Taking k= 5, [itex]6a_6= a_4= a_0/8[/itex] so [itex]a_6= a_0/48[/itex], etc.

It should be obvious that [itex]a_n= 0[/itex] for all odd n (and you should be able to prove it by induction on n) while for n even we get [itex]a_0[/itex] over 2, 8, 48, ... Continue for a few more terms to see if you can find a formula for those denominators. It shouldn't surprise you if it involves a factorial.

Related to Simple first-order series solution

1. What is a simple first-order series solution?

A simple first-order series solution is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution to a first-order differential equation. It involves breaking down the equation into a series of terms and solving for each term consecutively.

2. When is a simple first-order series solution applicable?

A simple first-order series solution is applicable when the differential equation is linear and has a constant coefficient. It is also useful for solving equations with initial conditions.

3. How accurate is a simple first-order series solution?

The accuracy of a simple first-order series solution depends on the number of terms used in the series. Generally, the more terms used, the more accurate the solution will be.

4. Are there any limitations to using a simple first-order series solution?

Yes, there are limitations to using a simple first-order series solution. It is only applicable to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not provide an accurate solution for all initial conditions.

5. What is the process for finding a simple first-order series solution?

The process for finding a simple first-order series solution involves breaking down the differential equation into a series of terms, solving for each term using a recursive formula, and combining the solutions to obtain the final solution. The number of terms needed and the initial conditions must also be taken into consideration.