Solve Simple Force Problem: Find the Ratio F/F(a)

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: So the total horizontal component would be twice the value you calculated. In summary, a baby elephant is stuck in a mud hole and game keepers use three forces (Fa, Fb, and Fc) to pull it out. Each of the additional forces has the same magnitude F, and in part b of the drawing, the magnitude of the resultant force is twice that in part a. The ratio F/Fa can be found by using right triangle trigonometry to calculate the horizontal component of the forces, which will be twice the value calculated for cos20 = (Fa/F).
ian_durrant

Homework Statement

A baby elephant is stuck in a mud hole. To help pull it out, game keepers use a rope to apply force F(a). By itself,however, force F(a) is insufficient. Therefore, two additional forces F(b) and F(c) are applied. Each of these additional forces has the same magnitude F. The magnitude of the resultant force acting on the elephant in part b of the drawing is twice that in part a. Find the ratio F/F(a)

Homework Equations

It should be noted that the two end ropes are 40 degrees apart, and F(a) bisects them, creating 20 between each rope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know, i tried 2:1, but that answer didn't work, any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a vector diagram, and break the forces down into components using right triangle trigonometry. Do you know what I mean by that?

ok, i drew the right trangles and got an equation like this:

cos20 = (F(a)/F) which led me to -

F(a)- .94F

and i got a ratio from F/F(a)= 1.06 (i took the inverse)

when i entered this into the computer, it said it was wrong. Did I miss something that I was supposed to do, am I supposed to multiple that by two because there are two additional ropes ?

thanks for the help

You're on the right track, but you're forgetting that there are 2 of these forces acting on the elephant at 20 degrees (along with Fa).

1. What is a simple force problem?

A simple force problem is a physics problem that involves determining the magnitude or direction of a force acting on an object.

2. How do I find the ratio F/F(a) in a simple force problem?

To find the ratio F/F(a), you need to first identify the forces acting on the object and their magnitudes. Then, divide the magnitude of the force you are trying to find (F) by the magnitude of the force you know (F(a)). This will give you the ratio F/F(a).

3. What is the significance of the ratio F/F(a) in a simple force problem?

The ratio F/F(a) represents the relationship between two forces acting on an object. It can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of the unknown force, as well as understand the balance or imbalance of forces on the object.

4. Can the ratio F/F(a) be greater than 1 in a simple force problem?

Yes, the ratio F/F(a) can be greater than 1 in a simple force problem. This indicates that the unknown force (F) is greater in magnitude than the known force (F(a)).

5. How can I use the ratio F/F(a) to solve a simple force problem?

The ratio F/F(a) can be used in conjunction with other equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to solve a simple force problem. By setting up and solving equations using the ratio, you can determine the magnitude and direction of the unknown force.