Simple Fraction Problem: Solving Addition and Subtraction with Whole Numbers

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, Zulfi attempted to solve (1) by converting it to a x/12 problem, but failed because the last bracket is negative.
zak100
Hi,
I have the following question:
2 whole number ¼ - 1 whole number 2/3 ------(1)

1 whole number (1/4 -2/3)

I am getting –ve sign which is wrong.

However if I do:

2 whole number ¼ + 1 whole number 2/3

Then:

3whole number (1/4 * 3/3 + 2/3 * 4/4)

= 3 whole number(3/12 + 8/12)

= 3 whole number 11/12

How to solve (1) in the same way as I solved the addition question.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I had any idea what you are doing I would try to help!

zak100 said:
Hi,
I have the following question:
2 whole number ¼ - 1 whole number 2/3 ------(1)
?
What does this mean?
zak100 said:
1 whole number (1/4 -2/3)
What does this mean?
zak100 said:
I am getting –ve sign which is wrong.

However if I do:

2 whole number ¼ + 1 whole number 2/3

Then:

3whole number (1/4 * 3/3 + 2/3 * 4/4)

= 3 whole number(3/12 + 8/12)

= 3 whole number 11/12

How to solve (1) in the same way as I solved the addition question.

Zulfi.

I moved the thread to our homework section.

I'm making a guess: you want to calculate ##(2+\frac 1 4) - (1 + \frac 2 3 )##? Then ##(2+\frac 1 4) - (1 + \frac 2 3 ) = 1 + (\frac 1 4 - \frac 2 3)## is a valid step. The last bracket is negative, so what? Further simplification will probably include the "1+" there.

Likes SammyS
mfb said:
I moved the thread to our homework section.

I'm making a guess: you want to calculate ##(2+\frac 1 4) - (1 + \frac 2 3 )##? Then ##(2+\frac 1 4) - (1 + \frac 2 3 ) = 1 + (\frac 1 4 - \frac 2 3)## is a valid step. The last bracket is negative, so what? Further simplification will probably include the "1+" there.
OKay. I got : 7/12.
Actually i forgot how i solved it which was giving negative answer. I would reply again.

Zulfi.

<<The last bracket is negative, so what?>>
Hi,
Thanks. Actually negative sign has significance. Its related to class 4 question. And in class 4 they learn 7-1 but not -7+1 which is -6. So negative has significance. I have to solve it in such a way that I should not get subtraction like : -7 + 1. However 7-1 is allowed. Book has that solution but at this point I don't have access to book.

Zulfi.

If coursework subtracts fraction before introducing the concept of negative numbers, something went wrong I think.

Hi,
I think its right for class 4 student. Actually they should avoid these questions. I remember studying about subtraction like 7-10 when i started studying algebra in class 6. Okay today i got that book & this is how they did to avoid subraction resulting in -ve numbers:

3⅓-1¾ = 2 + 1 +⅓-1¾=2+12/12 + 4/12 -1 whole number 9/12 = 1 whole number 7/12

Hope you would understand my text. Sorry i don't know latex. I typed it in word but can't paste here.
Actually they subtracted 3-1 which is 2. But they did not perform subtration of larger fraction 3/4 from smaller fraction 1/3 because it would result in a number with negative sign & they did not teach this in class 4.So Instead they added 1 & wrote the larger fraction with minus sign. Then later wrate 12/12 instead of 1 so that all denominators are same.
This is what i was asking.
Zulfi.

I think that arbitrary rule makes calculations more complicated than necessary.

Another approach would be to convert everything to x/12.

(3+1/3) - (1+3/4) = 40/12 - 21/12 = 19/12 = 1 + 7/12

(This is a readable way to write fractions without LaTeX, by the way)

zak100 said:
3⅓-1¾ = 2 + 1 +⅓-1¾=2+12/12 + 4/12 -1 whole number 9/12 = 1 whole number 7/12
This "whole number" business is very confusing, and was the reason your first post in this thread was so hard to comprehend. A mathematical expression should consist of numbers and operators, not words.
It would be better to write the above this way:
3⅓-1¾ = 2 + 1 +⅓-1¾=2+12/12 + 4/12 -1 - 9/12 = (2 - 1) + (16/12 - 9/12) = 1 + 7/12, or ##\frac{19}{12}##.

FAQ: Simple Fraction Problem: Solving Addition and Subtraction with Whole Numbers

What is a simple fraction?

A simple fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a part of a whole. It consists of a numerator (top number) and a denominator (bottom number), separated by a horizontal line. For example, 1/2 is a simple fraction where 1 is the numerator and 2 is the denominator.

How do you add and subtract simple fractions?

To add or subtract simple fractions, you need to have a common denominator. This means that the bottom numbers (denominators) of the two fractions need to be the same. Once you have a common denominator, you can simply add or subtract the numerators (top numbers) and keep the common denominator the same. For example, to add 1/3 and 1/4, you would need to find a common denominator of 12, so the fractions become 4/12 and 3/12. Then, you can add the numerators to get 7/12 as the final answer.

How do you multiply and divide simple fractions?

To multiply simple fractions, you simply multiply the numerators and denominators together. For example, to multiply 1/2 and 2/3, you would multiply 1x2 and 2x3 to get a final answer of 2/6, which can be simplified to 1/3. To divide simple fractions, you flip the second fraction (divisor) and then follow the steps for multiplication. For example, to divide 1/2 by 2/3, you would flip 2/3 to get 3/2 and multiply it by 1/2, which gives you a final answer of 3/4.

How do you simplify simple fractions?

To simplify a simple fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. This is the largest number that can divide evenly into both numbers. Then, you divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF to get a simplified fraction. For example, to simplify 4/8, the GCF is 4 and when you divide both 4 and 8 by 4, you get the simplified fraction of 1/2.

How are simple fractions used in real life?

Simple fractions are used in many everyday situations, such as cooking, measuring, and budgeting. For example, when following a recipe, you may need to double or halve the ingredients, which involves adding or dividing fractions. In construction, simple fractions are used to measure and cut materials to the appropriate size. In finance, fractions are used to calculate percentages and interest rates. Overall, understanding simple fractions is essential for many practical and mathematical applications.