Understanding Free Energy in Fuel Cell Reactions

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the concept of free energy and its application in a fuel cell using methane as fuel. The speaker is tasked with finding the electrical work and waste heat produced from the given reaction, and there is confusion regarding the equations used to calculate ΔG and Q. The speaker initially thinks that ΔG equals Q plus W(electrical), but is later corrected that ΔG only equals W(electrical). They also struggle with understanding how to compute waste heat, with confusion surrounding the equations ΔH, ΔU, and PΔV.
lustrog
I'm given a fuel cell that uses methane as fuel:

(CH4) + 2(O2) --> 2(H2O) + (CO2)

And I'm asked to find (a) the electrical work I can get out for each mole of methane, and (b) the amount of waste heat produced.

I understand that ΔG is defined as the amount of useful non-mechanical work that can be obtained from the system. So my first thought was that ΔG = Q + W(electrical). However, I'm told it's actually the case that ΔG = W(electrical) only. So why exactly is that? Isn't Q a form of non-mechanical work? Secondly, when I'm asked to compute the amount of waste heat, I go ahead and accept the confusing notion that ΔG = W(electrical) and attempt to compute the waste heat simply as ΔH = ΔU + PΔV = ΔU - W = Q. However, I'm told the waste heat is actually Q = ΔG - ΔH. Can anyone explain these two areas of confusion for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just read the sticky. Perhaps this should have been in the HW section. But it is a conceptual question. I just pulled a relevant textbook question to demonstrate my areas of confusion about free energy.

What is a fuel cell?

A fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy from a fuel into electrical energy through a chemical reaction. It is similar to a battery, but unlike a battery, it requires a continuous supply of fuel and oxygen to sustain the chemical reaction.

How does a fuel cell work?

A fuel cell works by combining hydrogen fuel and oxygen from the air in an electrochemical reaction. The fuel cell has two electrodes - an anode and a cathode - separated by an electrolyte. Hydrogen gas is fed to the anode and oxygen is fed to the cathode. As the hydrogen atoms lose their electrons at the anode, the electrons flow through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. The positively charged hydrogen ions then pass through the electrolyte to the cathode, where they combine with oxygen and the electrons to form water. This process continuously produces electricity as long as there is a supply of fuel and oxygen.

What are the advantages of fuel cells?

Fuel cells have several advantages over traditional combustion-based technologies, including high efficiency, low emissions, and quiet operation. They also have the potential to use a variety of fuels, such as hydrogen, methanol, and natural gas, making them versatile for different applications. Additionally, fuel cells have a longer lifespan than traditional batteries, as they do not degrade over time.

What are the limitations of fuel cells?

The main limitation of fuel cells is their high cost. The production and distribution of hydrogen fuel can also be expensive. Another limitation is the lack of infrastructure for refueling and storing hydrogen. Additionally, the performance of fuel cells can be affected by extreme temperatures and humidity levels. Research and development efforts are ongoing to address these limitations and make fuel cells a more viable energy source.

What are some applications of fuel cells?

Fuel cells have a wide range of potential applications, including powering vehicles, homes, and businesses. They can also be used in portable devices, such as laptops and cell phones. Fuel cells are also being explored as a potential power source for space exploration and military operations. As technology advances and costs decrease, fuel cells are expected to become more prevalent in various industries and everyday life.