Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple fuel cell question

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I'm given a fuel cell that uses methane as fuel:

(CH4) + 2(O2) --> 2(H2O) + (CO2)

And I'm asked to find (a) the electrical work I can get out for each mole of methane, and (b) the amount of waste heat produced.

I understand that ΔG is defined as the amount of useful non-mechanical work that can be obtained from the system. So my first thought was that ΔG = Q + W(electrical). However, I'm told it's actually the case that ΔG = W(electrical) only. So why exactly is that? Isn't Q a form of non-mechanical work? Secondly, when I'm asked to compute the amount of waste heat, I go ahead and accept the confusing notion that ΔG = W(electrical) and attempt to compute the waste heat simply as ΔH = ΔU + PΔV = ΔU - W = Q. However, I'm told the waste heat is actually Q = ΔG - ΔH. Can anyone explain these two areas of confusion for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Just read the sticky. Perhaps this should have been in the HW section. But it is a conceptual question. I just pulled a relevant textbook question to demonstrate my areas of confusion about free energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook