Simple Harmonic Motion of a block

In summary: The maximum force must be the friction force, or k x = \mu\,M g, or the mass M is M = k x/(\mu\,g).Now the maximum amplitude A is A = x, or A = k x/(k\mu\,g) or the maximum amplitude A is A = x/(\mu\,g).In summary, the maximum amplitude for the smaller mass to remain at rest relative to the larger block is x/(\mu\,g), where x is the maximum displacement of the larger block and \mu is the coefficient of static friction between the two blocks.
courtrigrad
A 0.50 kg block sits on top of a 5.00-kg block that rests on the floor. The larger block is attached to a horizontal spring that has a force constant of 15.0 N/m. It is displaced and undergoes simple harmonic motion. What is the largest possible amplitude the 5.00-kg mass can have for the smaller mass to remain at rest relative to the larger block? The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.25. There is no friction between the larger block and the floor.

I have all the equations:

[tex] x(t) = A\cos(\omega(t) + \phi) [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = -A\omega\sin(\omega(t)+\phi) [/tex]
[tex] a(t) = -A\omega^{2}\cos(\omega(t)+\phi) [/tex]
[tex] T = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]
[tex] \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]
[tex] T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

I drew a free body diagram. I know that the velocity of the smaller block has to be 0. The force the spring exerts on the lower block has to be less than the friction force for the velocity to be 0.

Any help would be appreciated.

note: It should be [tex] \omega(t) [/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do we not also need the dimensions of the contact surface between the two blocks? The static friction force is dependant on this information isn't it?

I determined the static friction force to be [tex] f_{s} = (0.25)(0.5 kg)(9.8\frac{m}{s^{2}}) = 1.225 N [/tex]

So do I just set this equal to:
[tex] 1.225 N = (15.0 \frac{N}{m} )(x) [/tex], and solve for x?

thanks

courtrigrad said:
A 0.50 kg block sits on top of a 5.00-kg block that rests on the floor. The larger block is attached to a horizontal spring that has a force constant of 15.0 N/m. It is displaced and undergoes simple harmonic motion. What is the largest possible amplitude the 5.00-kg mass can have for the smaller mass to remain at rest relative to the larger block? The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.25. There is no friction between the larger block and the floor.

I have all the equations:

[tex] x(t) = A\cos(\omega(t) + \phi) [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = -A\omega\sin(\omega(t)+\phi) [/tex]
[tex] a(t) = -A\omega^{2}\cos(\omega(t)+\phi) [/tex]
[tex] T = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]
[tex] \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]
[tex] T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

I drew a free body diagram. I know that the velocity of the smaller block has to be 0.
No! Why would that be true??
The force the spring exerts on the lower block has to be less than the friction force for the velocity to be 0.

Any help would be appreciated.

note: It should be [tex] \omega(t) [/tex]

Thanks

What you must do is to focus on the smaller block. You must have [itex] \sum F_x = m a_x [/itex]. The only force in the x direction is the friction force (the normal force cancels gravity). Now, you know that the friction force must be smaller or equal to [itex] \mu_s N [/itex]. Therefore, you can find the maximum acceleration...Once you know the maximum acceleration of the two blocks, you are almost there...

One has to determine the maximum lateral acceleration that the blocks can experience without the smaller block moving.

You found the friction force, Fs between the smaller block and the larger block. Now, the lateral for F = ma = Fs for the small block to remain stationary. With ma = [itex]\mu\,mg[/itex], one finds that

a = [itex]\mu\,g[/itex].

From the spring equation F = M a = k x, one can find that the maximum force (and therefore maximum acceleration) corresponds to the maximum displacement (amplitude).

Thus x = Ma/k, but the key here is on what mass M is the spring acting.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a period that is independent of the amplitude.

2. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern of movement and has a constant period and amplitude. In other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, the period and amplitude may change.

3. What causes an object to undergo SHM?

An object undergoes SHM when it is acted upon by a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point. This restoring force could be gravity, a spring, or any other force that follows Hooke's Law.

4. How is SHM mathematically described?

The mathematical description of SHM is given by the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some real-life examples of SHM include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass attached to a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. SHM can also be observed in the motion of a boat bobbing up and down on the water or in the motion of a mass on a vertical spring.