Simple harmonic motion of particles

In summary: I was just trying to get a different perspective of the problem and I got it.In summary, the phase difference between two particles executing simple harmonic motion with the same amplitude and frequency along the x-axis, and a mean position separated by distance X0, when the maximum separation between them is (X0 + A), is π/3. This can be deduced by setting up equations for the positions of the particles and finding the maximum separation at a given time, which can be represented as a sine function with a phase difference of π/3.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Two particles are executing simple harmonic motion of the same amplitude A and frequency ω along the x-axis. Their mean position is separated by distance X0 (X0 > A). If the maximum separation between them is (X0 + A), the phase difference between their motion is

My
answer is π/2 but the answer given is π/3.

Homework Equations

x = Asin(ωt + φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

To me it looks like this: When the first particle is at it's mean position, the second particle is at it's extreme position, so that the distance between both of them is X0 + A. So, the phase difference should be π/2

In terms of coordinates, let mean pos of P1 be x=0, mean pos of P2 be X0. Let P1 go from x= -A to x = +A and P2 go from x = X0 - A to x = X0 + A. The situation here represents P1 at x=0 and P2 at x = X0 + A.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Two particles are executing simple harmonic motion of the same amplitude A and frequency ω along the x-axis. Their mean position is separated by distance X0 (X0 > A). If the maximum separation between them is (X0 + A), the phase difference between their motion is

My
answer is π/2 but the answer given is π/3.

Homework Equations

x = Asin(ωt + φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

To me it looks like this: When the first particle is at it's mean position, the second particle is at it's extreme position, so that the distance between both of them is X0 + A. So, the phase difference should be π/2

In terms of coordinates, let mean pos of P1 be x=0, mean pos of P2 be X0. Let P1 go from x= -A to x = +A and P2 go from x = X0 - A to x = X0 + A. The situation here represents P1 at x=0 and P2 at x = X0 + A.
You can check the validity of your logic, by finding the maximum separation if the phase difference is pi/2. Is it really xo+A?

erisedk said:
When the first particle is at it's mean position, the second particle is at it's extreme position, so that the distance between both of them is X0 + A
In that case A isn't the maximum difference ! Work out ##A \sin \omega t (t + \phi) - A \sin(\omega t)## to get an expression in ##\phi## and see where you can go from there ...

[edit] ah! Elisabeth was faster. I leave you in her hands...

x1 = Asin(ωt + Φ1)
x2 = X0 + Asin(ωt + Φ2)
x2 - x1 = X0 + Asin(ωt + Φ2) - Asin(ωt + Φ1)
= X0 + 2A##cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##
X0 + A = X0 + 2A##cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##

##\dfrac{1}{2} = cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##

This can be visualised as SHM with amplitude ##sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2}##

##\dfrac{1}{2} = sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2}##

##φ_2 - φ_1 = \dfrac{π}{3} ##

While I have gotten the answer, I'm not sure I understand why it's true at all.
ehild said:
You can check the validity of your logic, by finding the maximum separation if the phase difference is pi/2. Is it really xo+A?
I think I'm very confused here. I don't know how to.

Last edited:
erisedk said:
x1 = Asin(ωt + Φ1)
x2 = X0 + Asin(ωt + Φ2)
x2 - x1 = X0 + Asin(ωt + Φ2) - Asin(ωt + Φ1)
= X0 + 2A##cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##
X0 + A = X0 + 2A##cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##

##\dfrac{1}{2} = cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ_1 + φ_2}{2}sin\dfrac{φ_2 - φ_1}{2} ##
I don't know what to do beyond this.

I think I'm very confused here. I don't know how to.

You can choose one of the phase constant zero.
x1 = Asin(ωt )
x2 = X0 + Asin(ωt + φ)
x2 - x1 = X0 + Asin(ωt + φ) - Asin(ωt )
##cos\dfrac{2ωt + φ}{2}sin\dfrac{φ}{2}##
At what time is the last expression maximum and what is the maximum value?

Oh, I got that, I edited my post.

It is confusing to the reader that you edited the first post. This makes to look all helpers were stupid.

I didn't edit my first post. I edited my answer post before you replied.

Yes, I see. So I was stupid only, answering a solved problem.
Anyway. If you do correct Maths and you got a result it is correct.

I'm really sorry if I shouldn't have.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which a particle or object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, with a constant frequency and amplitude. It is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position.

2. What are the characteristics of simple harmonic motion?

The characteristics of simple harmonic motion include a constant frequency, a sinusoidal (or back-and-forth) motion, and a constant amplitude. The motion is also periodic, meaning it repeats itself after a certain amount of time.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency (2π multiplied by the frequency in hertz), and φ is the phase angle. This equation can also be written in terms of velocity and acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the total mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) remains constant. As the particle moves back and forth, the energy is constantly being converted between potential and kinetic, but the total amount remains the same. This is known as energy conservation.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion in everyday life include the motion of a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and the motion of a vibrating guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a child on a swing, a car's suspension system, and the motion of a tuning fork.