1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple incline problem.

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 6kg block "B" rests as shown(refer attachment) on the upper surface of a 15 Kg wedge "A". Neglecting friction, determine immediately after the system is released from rest,
    a)The acceleration of A
    b)The acceleration of B relative to A.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part,

The force on A due to gravity, parallel to the incline will be Mg sin30° = 75N
    And the force of the block B on A is mg= 60N, and the component parallel to the incline will be 60 sin30° = 30N, so the total force parallel to the incline is 30+75= 105N
    Thus, a=Net force/ total mass = 105/(15+6) = 5 m/s^2 .
    The answer should be 6.63 m/s^2. Where have i gone wrong?

Attached Files:

• A.bmp
      A.bmp
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    I think you might have two problems, first you use the total mass when calculating the acceleration but I think it should only be the 15kg mass, the two blocks accelerate differently. Secondly I think the force of the upper block acting on the lower block is reduced because the upper block accelerates downward. There is a geometric relationship between the accelerations. See,

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook