Solving Integration Problems for EIy and ymax

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving a beam and the determination of its maximum deflection. The first problem involves finding the constant A using boundary conditions, while the second problem involves finding the solution for ymax. The equation for ymax is determined by integrating and setting the second constant, B, to zero. The equation for y is a result of transposing EIy, and any discrepancies may be due to a calculation error.
Aerstz

Homework Statement

Two questions are of the same problem (these are taken from a textbook):

EIdy/dx = - (Fx^2)/4 + A

The constant A can be obtained from the boundary conditions: slope dy/dx = 0, x = 1/2L. Thus A = (FL^2)/16 hence

EIdy/dx = - (Fx^2)/4 + (FL^2)/16

My problem 1: I have absolutely no idea why A = (FL^2)/16. If someone could please show me in a few small steps how A was determined, I should be very grateful!

Integrating again (with respect to x), the second constant, B, equals zero thus

EIy = - (Fx^2)/4 + (FL^2)/16 + B

B = 0

y = (Fx/48EI) (3L^2 - 4x^2)

x = 1/2 L thus

ymax = (FL^3)/48EI

My problem 2: I have no idea how the solution for ymax was determined. I Also have no idea why y = (Fx/48EI) (3L^2 - 4x^2) when EIy = - (Fx^2)/4 + (FL^2)/16 + B. Is the equation for y simply the equation for EIy transposed for y? Because when I tried them I ended up with values which did not fit. (Did I make a simple error in my calculating, or is something else going on?)

Please could you explain to me what is going on in the above equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a scan of the book from whence the equations originated:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9725/beamproblembookscan.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I solve a simple integration problem?

To solve a simple integration problem, you need to first identify the function that represents the curve on the graph. Then, use integration rules and techniques, such as the power rule or substitution method, to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the given limits to find the area under the curve.

3. What are some common integration rules?

Some common integration rules include the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1), and the substitution method, which involves substituting a variable with a new expression to simplify the integral.

4. Are there any tips for solving integration problems?

Yes, some tips for solving integration problems include practicing with different functions and using integration tables or software to check your answers. It is also helpful to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration has many real-world applications, including calculating work and displacement in physics, finding the equilibrium price in economics, and determining the volume of irregularly shaped objects in engineering. It is also used in image and signal processing, as well as in data analysis and machine learning.