Simple Linear Algebra question

In summary, Simple Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces using matrices and vectors. Its basic concepts include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, determinants, and systems of linear equations. It has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. Learning Simple Linear Algebra can improve analytical and problem-solving skills and provide a foundation for more advanced concepts and practical applications. Some common mistakes made in Simple Linear Algebra include incorrect matrix operations, confusing vectors and scalars, and not checking for consistency in systems of linear equations. It is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of linear algebra to avoid these mistakes.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

A line is perpendicular to the line 2x - 4y + 7 = 0 and that passes through the point P(7,2). Determine the equation of this line in Cartesian form.

Homework Equations

n/a
3. The Attempt at a Solution
Okay, so how I generally believe how to solve these problems may be wrong but I'm not sure.
1.The normal vector is (2, -4) so by using this info i found the directional vector to be (4,2)
2. After finding the directional vector, i used the dot product to find a vector that is perpendicular to (4,2) so i got (-2,4). I believe that this vector must be parallel to (2,-4) because otherwise it doesn't make sense(atleast to me)
3. After finding the normal vector to (4,2), i used this information to simulate part of the Cartesian Equation.
4. -2x + 4y = -C; What I did from here was use the specific point i was given (7,2) and implemented it into the x and y values. I got -2(7) + 4(2) = -6
5. My cartesian equation is essentially -2x + 4y -6 = 0.

I'm getting the right answers for some questions but the wrong one for this one, can anyone help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
[
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

A line is perpendicular to the line 2x - 4y + 7 = 0 and that passes through the point P(7,2). Determine the equation of this line in Cartesian form.

Homework Equations

n/a
3. The Attempt at a Solution
Okay, so how I generally believe how to solve these problems may be wrong but I'm not sure.
1.The normal vector is (2, -4) so by using this info i found the directional vector to be (4,2)

Right there, you can use (4,2) as the normal vector to your perpendicular line so try ##4x+2y = C## and make it pass through your point.

Okay i see, but it looks like my fundamental understanding of the problem is incorrect, or I simply don't understand the cartesian equation.

Line 1's normal vector is -2,4
Line 2's normal vector is 4,2
Are these normal vectors collinear or perpendicular? I assumed they had to be collinear
Because ((4)(2) + (-4)(2)) = 0; I'm confused about this.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Okay i see, but it looks like my fundamental understanding of the problem is incorrect, or I simply don't understand the cartesian equation.

Line 1's normal vector is -2,4
Line 2's normal vector is 4,2
Are these normal vectors collinear or perpendicular? I assumed they had to be collinear
Because ((4)(2) + (-4)(2)) = 0; I'm confused about this.
If the lines are perpendicular their normal vectors are perpendicular. That's why their dot product is zero. Draw a picture.

Yes that was what i was wondering; Thanks for your help.
I assumed that they could be either perpendicular, or the normal vectors could be collinear as well.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Yes that was what i was wondering; Thanks for your help.
I assumed that they could be either perpendicular, or the normal vectors could be collinear as well.

You don't talk about vectors being collinear. You probably mean parallel. Points can be collinear, meaning in a straight line. And, of course, if the normal vectors were parallel, the lines would be parallel, not perpendicular.

I know, i was unable to communicate it properly. I know that for any pair of lines, their angles between their normal vectors will be the same. Again, thanks for the help

Another way of looking at this- although it is no longer "Linear Algebra" just "Calculus":
The line 2x- 4y= 7 can be rewritten as y= (1/2)x- 7/4. It has slope 1/2. A line perpendicular to it must have slope -2. So you want to find a line with slope -2, through point (7, 2). Perhaps you can use that to check your answer.

1. What is Simple Linear Algebra?

Simple Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and their operations to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

2. What are the basic concepts of Simple Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts of Simple Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, determinants, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to solve problems related to lines, planes, and higher-dimensional objects.

3. How is Simple Linear Algebra used in real life?

Simple Linear Algebra has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems related to physical systems, data analysis, optimization, and machine learning algorithms.

4. What are the benefits of learning Simple Linear Algebra?

Learning Simple Linear Algebra can improve analytical and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and practical applications. Additionally, it is widely used in various fields, making it a valuable skill for career advancement.

5. What are some common mistakes made in Simple Linear Algebra?

Some common mistakes made in Simple Linear Algebra include incorrect matrix operations, confusing the concepts of vectors and scalars, and not checking for consistency in systems of linear equations. It is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of linear algebra to avoid making these mistakes.