How Does a Boy Scout Use Eyeglasses to Start a Fire?

• Thread starter floridianfisher
  • Start date
In summary: The boy scout has a near point of 15.2 cm. When the lens is used as a simple magnifier, give values for the following conditions. (Hint: Assume a "normal" eye.)In summary, a boy scout uses a lens from his eyeglasses to start a fire by focusing sunlight on kindling 5.2 cm from the lens. The boy scout has a near point of 15.2 cm and is using a "normal" eye. To find the maximum magnification, the equation 1/p + 1/q = 1/f is used, where p is the object distance, q is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens. Since the near point is
floridianfisher

Homework Statement

A boy scout starts a fire by using a lens from his eyeglasses to focus sunlight on kindling 5.2 cm from the lens. The boy scout has a near point of 15.2 cm. When the lens is used as a simple magnifier, give values for the following conditions. (Hint: Assume a "normal" eye.)
(a) What is the maximum magnification that can be achieved

(b) What is the magnification when the eye is relaxed

Homework Equations

1/p + 1/q = 1/f
Mmax= 1+ 25cm/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I used p=+5.2 and q= -(15.2)-((1/2)5.2)=-17.8
then 1/5.2 - 1/17.8 +1/f
f= 7.34
so, Mmax= 1+ 25/7.34= 4.406 but that is wrong?!?
can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to put everything in meters... you're using cm... check your units...

floridianfisher said:

Homework Equations

1/p + 1/q = 1/f
Mmax= 1+ 25cm/f
That last equation assumes a near point of 25cm, but you are given a different near point to use.

(No problem using cm everywhere, as long as you are consistent.)

So i used the same equation except for Mmax I used 1+ 15.2/7.346= 3.068 but still the answere is not right?

Please help soon as I do not have much time left to solve this problem.
Thanks

floridianfisher said:
So i used the same equation except for Mmax I used 1+ 15.2/7.346= 3.068 but still the answere is not right?
What's the focal length of the lens?

floridianfisher said:
A boy scout starts a fire by using a lens from his eyeglasses to focus sunlight on kindling 5.2 cm from the lens.

What is a simple magnifier?

A simple magnifier, also known as a hand lens or a magnifying glass, is a convex lens that is used to produce a magnified image of an object when held close to the eye.

How does a simple magnifier work?

A simple magnifier works by bending the light that passes through it, which makes the object appear larger and closer to the observer's eye. The magnification power of a simple magnifier depends on the curvature of the lens and the distance between the lens and the object.

What are the uses of a simple magnifier?

Simple magnifiers are commonly used for tasks that require a closer look at small or intricate details, such as reading small text, examining small objects, or inspecting plants and insects. They are also used in scientific research, jewelry making, and other fields that require precision and attention to detail.

What are the limitations of a simple magnifier?

One limitation of a simple magnifier is that it can only provide a limited level of magnification, typically up to 10x. It also has a small field of view, which means that only a small portion of the object can be viewed at a time. It is also affected by the distance between the lens and the object, as well as the quality and clarity of the lens.

How do you calculate the magnification power of a simple magnifier?

The magnification power of a simple magnifier can be calculated by dividing the focal length of the lens by the distance between the lens and the object. For example, if the focal length is 5 cm and the distance is 10 cm, the magnification power would be 0.5x. This means that the object would appear half its actual size when viewed through the magnifier.