Simple matrix/linear algebra question, help

• Thread starter ilyas.h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation was about trying to understand a function that maps polynomials to a new polynomial by adding the derivative of the original polynomial and t times the value of the polynomial at -2. The conclusion was that for a constant function, f(-2) is equal to the value of the function, and for a linear function, f(-2) is equal to the slope of the line.
ilyas.h

Homework Statement

Here is the question, i know how to do part (i) but I do not understand part (ii):

matrixq.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

here's the solution from the marking scheme:

matrixqans.png
i understand how they formed the matrix from their working out (i can se the pattern), but I do not understand the actual working out. Thanks to anyone who could explain it to me.

why does L(1) = t? why does L(t) = 1 + (-2)t? etc

Physics news on Phys.org
ilyas.h said:

Homework Statement

Here is the question, i know how to do part (i) but I do not understand part (ii):

matrixq.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

here's the solution from the marking scheme:

matrixqans.png
i understand how they formed the matrix from their working out (i can se the pattern), but I do not understand the actual working out. Thanks to anyone who could explain it to me.

why does L(1) = t? why does L(t) = 1 + (-2)t? etc
If f is a function in P3, then L(f) = f' + t * f(-2). In other words, to get the image of a function f, add the derivative of the function and t times f(-2). So L(1) = 0 + t = t. Can you figure out why L(t) = 1 - 2t?

Mark44 said:
If f is a function in P3, then L(f) = f' + t * f(-2). In other words, to get the image of a function f, add the derivative of the function and t times f(-2). So L(1) = 0 + t = t. Can you figure out why L(t) = 1 - 2t?

Still doesn't make sense.

L(1) = 1' + 1*(-2)t = d(1)/dt + (-2)t =

0 + (-2)t = (-2)t

=/= t.
what is f(-2) equal to anyway?

Last edited:
ilyas.h said:
Still doesn't make sense.

L(1) = 1' + 1*(-2)t = d(1)/dt + (-2)t =

0 + (-2)t = (-2)t

=/= t.

what is f(-2) equal to anyway?
Indeed !

What is ƒ(-2) equal to?

What is ƒ ?

You were considering finding L(1) .

That makes ƒ(x) = 1, a constant function, so it maps everything to 1. It even maps -2 to 1.

SammyS said:
Indeed !

What is ƒ(-2) equal to?

What is ƒ ?

You were considering finding L(1) .

That makes ƒ(x) = 1, a constant function, so it maps everything to 1. It even maps -2 to 1.

I think i understand.

L(1) means that we are considering the function f(x) = 1 (a straight line through y=1):

L(f) = f' + f(-2)t

L(1) = d(1)/dt + f(-2)t

f(-2) is equal to 1 in this case, so:

d(1)/dt + f(-2)t = 0 +t = tHowever, if we consider L(t):

L(t) = t' + f(-2)t
=d(t)/dt + f(-2)t
= 1 + f(-2)t

in this case, we are considering f(x) = t, another constant function (y=t throughout), so f(-2) = t:

L(t) = 1 + f(-2)t = 1 + t*t

= 1 + t^2

this does not equal 1+(-2)t as indicated in the markscheme.EDIT: nvm, i understand now.

if f(t) = t then:

f(-2) = -2.

Plug it all in and it all works.

thanks,

Last edited:
SammyS said:
In my previous post, I should have used t as the independent variable, not x. (It would have been clearer.)

So here: For L(t),

That means ƒ(t) = t . (That's the same as saying ƒ(x) = x .

Function, ƒ , is the identity function, not a constant function.

ƒ '(t) = 1 . ƒ(-2) = -2
can you look at my edit? thanks.

ilyas.h said:
can you look at my edit? thanks.
Yup.

(I quickly deleted a post I had made in reply. Now that you edited that post, all is well.)

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers (or other mathematical objects) arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in linear algebra and mathematical operations.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers or variables, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array. Vectors have only one row or column, while matrices can have multiple rows and columns.

3. How do I add or subtract matrices?

In order to add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns). You simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the resulting matrix.

4. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else). Not all matrices have an inverse, and the process for finding the inverse can be complex.

5. How is matrix multiplication different from regular multiplication?

In regular multiplication, the order of the numbers being multiplied does not matter (2 x 3 = 3 x 2). However, in matrix multiplication, the order of the matrices does matter. The number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix in order for the multiplication to be possible. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.