How Do You Calculate the Force of a Falling Object on Impact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force exerted by a mass when it falls from a known height onto another object. The equations F=ma and KE=1/2mv^2 are mentioned, but it is noted that these may not accurately account for the force in this scenario. The force of gravity on the mass is also mentioned, and it is suggested that additional information, such as the time of deceleration, is needed to accurately calculate the force.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

I am trying to work out the force which a mass applies when it drops from a known height onto another object.

Homework Equations

F=ma
suvat:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
F= change in momentum/time
and possibly KE= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think that F=ma applies exactly as this does not take into account where the mass is dropped from at all.. the force must be larger if the mass is traveling at a greater speed, surely?? This is the force the mass would apply if it was not moving..

I can work out the KE by finding the velocity at the moment of contact, but I don't know how to transfer this into a force. This is from a practical experiment so I don't actually have any time measurements =/ although I could estimate them by using suvat.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force which gravity applies on the mass is simply mg (the mass times gravity)

The force which the the mass applies on whatever object it hits can be shown by F=ma, but a is not gravity

a is the change in velocity over the change in time

the change in velocity is v_final - v_initial
It would be really big if it say... bounced.
It would be smaller if it stuck to the floor
It would be even smaller if it broke through the floor

The change in time is the amount of time the mass is in contact with the floor (the amount of time it was accelerating)

Basically, you need more information. Something about how long the mass takes to decelerate when it hits the floor (or how elastic the floor and the mass is)

The force which the the mass applies on whatever object it hits can be shown by F=ma, but a is not gravity
can't believe I didn't realize that.. hehe. The mass isn't actually hitting the floor, its hitting the end of a pencil.. long story! But I have some other experiments that tell me roughly the efficiency of the collision (in terms of percentage energy transferred).. so I reckon I'll be able to get a before and after speed and work from that. Thanks!

1. What is simple mechanics?

Simple mechanics refers to the basic principles and laws that govern the motion of objects. This includes concepts such as force, mass, acceleration, and energy.

2. Why do simple mechanics get stuck?

Simple mechanics can get stuck when there is a lack of understanding or application of the fundamental principles. This can also happen when there are external factors, such as friction or air resistance, that affect the motion of objects.

3. How can I prevent simple mechanics from getting stuck?

To prevent simple mechanics from getting stuck, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the principles and laws involved. Regular practice and problem-solving can also help to improve understanding and prevent getting stuck.

4. What are some common examples of simple mechanics getting stuck?

Some common examples of simple mechanics getting stuck include objects not moving on a frictionless surface, objects not accelerating at a constant rate, and objects not following the laws of motion.

5. How can I improve my understanding of simple mechanics?

To improve your understanding of simple mechanics, it is important to study and practice regularly. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and engage in hands-on activities or experiments to apply the principles in real-life situations.