Simple Momentum Question: Calculating Y-Direction After Given Angles

• Thread starter oridniv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation involved a scenario where the momentum components in the x-direction were not to be calculated and the simple formula of p=mv was to be used. The question asked for the calculation of momentum in the y-direction using given angles. The difference between distance and the y-component was also discussed. Two scenarios were given with different numbers and the question was clarified later by the professor.
oridniv
So, we were given a scenario and were asked to not calculate the momentum components in the x- directions. We were asked to use the simple formula of momentum(p) p=mv. Velocity was the root of the distance between the collisions and the mass was 1 unit. No specific units are to be used in these calculations. The question asks us to calculate momentum in the y-direction after being given specific angles. What's the difference between the distance and the y- component again?

Physics news on Phys.org
It'll be easier for someone to answer if you state the exact question you are trying to solve, along with the work you have done on it (i.e. what you have calculated)

1st scenario:
d=9.4cm
v= square root d= 3.1
I don't know how to calculate the y-components of momentum considering on an x-y plane, d is 34 degrees north of west. What I calculated was 9.4sin34 to get the y components but I can't shake the feeling that I might be wrong

2nd scenario, same as first but different numbers
d=14.7
v=3.83
d is 94 degrees east of north
y-component=14sin93

Could you state the whole question as given. It is quite confusing to me now.

don't worry, my prof explained and it now makes sense, thanks tho

Related to Simple Momentum Question: Calculating Y-Direction After Given Angles

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to the rate of change of an object's momentum. In other words, a change in momentum can only occur when a force is applied to an object.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity in a straight line. Angular momentum, on the other hand, is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity around an axis.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision between objects will be the same, regardless of any internal forces or interactions.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can have a negative value. This typically occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its reference frame, or when it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion.