Simple motorboat kinematics problem

In summary, the student is struggling with a mechanics problem and wants to solve it from scratch without using memorized formulas. They have attempted several approaches but are unable to find the time variable in the given information. They then receive help in deriving the kinematics formula and find the missing variable by using the work-energy theorem.
maxbashi
I'm stuck doing this problem in my first year mechanics class. I feel sort of dumb for not being able to get it. The teacher wants us to just memorize the formulas but I really really really don't want to do that - I'm trying to just do it using the basics and calculus. I can obviously do this problem by plugging in numbers, but I'm looking for a way to do it from scratch.

Homework Statement

A motorboat traveling on a straight course slows dow uniformly from 75 km/h to 40 km/h in a distance of 50 m. What is the magnitude of its acceleration?

Homework Equations

The one that you're "supposed" to used to get the right answer is v^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo).
I'm just trying to figure out why one would derive it this way - why the square speed? Obviously it's dimensionally needed to get m/s^2 for the answer... but I'm just looking for any explanation I can get.

The Attempt at a Solution

several approaches I've tried...
v(t)=(75-at)km/h - but don't know how to find what t would be, since only the distance (50m) is given

average acceleration = (75-40)/t... again, the problem is that I can't find t.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. And if I can provide any more information about my thoughts so far let me know. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From scratch eh? Okay:

You start with the acceleration as a function of time:

a(t) = a = const. (1)​

Integrate this once with respect to time to get the velocity as a function of time :

v(t) = v0 + at (2)​

Here, v0 is the constant of integration, and it is obviously equal to the initial velocity (which you'll see if you set t = 0). Integrate this function with respect to time to get the position function:

x(t) = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2 (3)​

Now you've derived all but one of the kinematics formulae. The last one makes no explicit mention of time. To eliminate t from the equations, solve for t in (2):

t = (v - v0) / a​

Substitute this into (3), rearrange, and you will end up with the result that:

v2 - v02 = 2a(x - x0) (4)​

An easier way to derive (4) is to use the work-energy theorem. As soon as your prof teaches you what that is, try it!

Thank you so much! Eliminating t by setting it equal to (v-vo)/a was just what I was missing. Thanks!

Related to Simple motorboat kinematics problem

1. How do you calculate the speed of a motorboat?

The speed of a motorboat can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. For example, if a motorboat travels 10 kilometers in 2 hours, the speed would be 10 km/2 hours = 5 km/hour.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by a motorboat?

The distance traveled by a motorboat can be calculated by multiplying the speed of the boat by the time it has been traveling. The formula for distance is distance = speed x time. For example, if a motorboat travels at a speed of 5 km/hour for 2 hours, the distance traveled would be 5 km/hour x 2 hours = 10 kilometers.

3. How do you determine the velocity of a motorboat?

The velocity of a motorboat is determined by both its speed and direction of travel. The formula for velocity is velocity = displacement/time. Displacement refers to the change in position of the motorboat. For example, if a motorboat travels 10 kilometers east in 2 hours, the velocity would be 10 km/2 hours = 5 km/hour east.

4. What factors can affect the speed of a motorboat?

The speed of a motorboat can be affected by factors such as wind resistance, water currents, and the weight of the boat. The design and condition of the motorboat's engine can also impact its speed. Additionally, the skill of the driver and the type of water the boat is traveling on can also affect its speed.

5. Can the speed of a motorboat change during its journey?

Yes, the speed of a motorboat can change during its journey. Factors such as changing wind or water conditions can impact the speed of the boat. Additionally, if the driver changes the speed of the boat, it will affect the overall speed of the journey.