Understanding Operator Identity: A^+(Af(x))^*g(x) = f^*(x)A^+g(x)

In summary, for any operator A and functions f(x), g(x), the expression (Af(x))^*g(x) is equal to f^*(x)A^+g(x) when integrated over all x. This is because the hermitian conjugate of A, denoted as "^+", is defined as the L2 innerproduct of A with the function g(x). This means that in order for the expression to hold, the operator A must be equal to its hermitian conjugate. A solution to this has been found, which shows that the expression is indeed true.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can someone explain to me why for any operator A and functions f(x), g(x),

[tex](Af(x))^*g(x) = f^*(x)A^+g(x)[/tex]

Where "^+" denotes the hermitian conjugate of A.

I went to see the demonstrator about it and he couldn't explain/prove that result. Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this is true only if you integrate over all x. That is, you need to have a definite integral.

The reason for this is that the usual example of A is [tex]i\partial_x[/tex]. To convert from the LHS to the RHS requires an integration by parts. In doing this integration, you will not get the right result unless you cancel off the integrated part using something like f(infinity) = g(infinity) = 0.

Carl

How is your innerproduct defined? For functions spaces it is normally the L2 innerproduct
[tex]<f,g>= \int_a^b f(x)g^*(x)dx[/tex]
for some a,b.

In that case,
[tex]<Af,g>= \int_a^b(Af(x))g^*(x)dx[/tex]
and
[tex]<f,Bg>= \int_a^bf(x)(Bg)^*(x)dx[/tex]

Comparing that with the definition of "Hermitian conjugate" should make it clear that those at equal if and onlyif B= A+.

Yesterday, I found a solution to this. It's very simple. First, I prove that for a function f, [itex]f^+ = f^*[/itex]. Since Af is a function, [itex](Af)^* = (Af)^+=f^+A^+=f^*A^+[/itex]. Voilà!

1. What is a simple operator identity?

A simple operator identity is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two different ways of expressing a mathematical operation. It is often used to simplify calculations and prove theorems.

2. How do you prove a simple operator identity?

To prove a simple operator identity, you need to show that the two expressions on either side of the equal sign are equivalent. This can be done by simplifying both sides and showing that they are equal to each other.

3. What are some examples of simple operator identities?

Some common examples of simple operator identities include the commutative property (a + b = b + a), associative property (a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c), and distributive property (a(b + c) = ab + ac).

4. Why are simple operator identities important in mathematics?

Simple operator identities are important in mathematics because they help in simplifying complicated expressions and making calculations easier. They also serve as the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and proofs.

5. How are simple operator identities used in real-world applications?

Simple operator identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used to solve problems and design algorithms, making processes more efficient and accurate.