Calculating Probability of Bird Survival Over Time | Simple Probability Problem

• Thread starter chuy52506
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem is to find the probability of being in state 0 at time 5. The answer is found using a generating function approach.
chuy52506

Homework Statement

Suppose i have 150 birds each having a survival rate of .5.

Homework Equations

What would be the probability that there are 0 birds after 5 times steps?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I could think of doing this would be to find the expected value after four time steps which would be 150*(.5)^4 = 4.6875. This would indicate that there are 4 birds left so I would find the probability 4 birds die in one time step which is .5^4. However, it is incorrect..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have an idea on how to start this?

chuy52506 said:

If by survival rate you mean probability of survival, then you could model the problem as a Markov chain on the state space {0,1,2,...,150}. At any integer time point the current state is the number of birds still alive at that time. We start at time t = 0 in state 150. Whenever the state is i (i >= 1) the number of birds that will die during the next time step is a binomial random variable with parameters i and 0.5, so P{k birds die by time t+1|i alive at time t} = C(i,k)/2^i, for k = 0,1,2, ..., i, where C(a,b) is the binomial coefficient C(a,b) = a!/[b! (a-b)!]. If k birds die there will be i-k left alive at time t+1.

You can work out the 150x150 one-step transition probability matrix; its entries are binomial probabilities. You want the probability of being in state 0 at time 5. Since state 0 is "absorbing" (meaning that once you reach 0 you stay in state 0 forever), that means that you reach state 0 for the first time at t <= 5. The answer will just be the (0,150) element of the matrix P^5, the fifth power of P in the sense of matrix multiplication.

I would not call this a simple problem.

RGV

chuy52506 said:

Instead of the method in my previous response, it is easier to tackle the problem directly, and using a generating function approach gives a surprisingly simple answer. Start with N birds. The number who die in the first time step is X1 = binomial(N,1/2), whose generating function is f1(z) = sum_{k=0..N} z^k*C(N,k)/2^N = (1/2 + 1/2 * z)^N. The number who die by the end of the second period is X1 + X2, where X1 = binomial(N,1/2), and X2 (given X1) is binomial(N-X1,1/2). The generating function of X1+X2 is f2(z) = E[z^(X1+X2)] = sum_{k} P{X1=k} E[z^(X1+X2)|X1=k] = sum_k P{X1=k} z^k * (1/2 + 1/2 * z)^(N-k) = ((1+z)/2)^N * f1(2*z/(1+z)) = [(1+z)^N /2^N](1/2 + 1/2 * 2*z/(1+z))^N = (1/4 + 3/4 * z)^N.

Note: this means that the P{X1+X2=k} = C(N,k)(3/4)^k (1/4)^(N-k).

In a similar way we can get the generating function fn(z) of X1+X2+...+Xn, and it is much simpler than I would ever have imagined. The final answer is simple, but I still would not call this a simple problem.

Note added in editing: to contradict the statement I made above---the problem IS simple if you look at it the right way. The trick is to look at the birds that survive, not the ones that die.

RGV

Last edited:

What is a simple probability problem?

A simple probability problem is a type of probability question that involves a straightforward scenario with a limited number of possible outcomes. It often involves finding the likelihood or chance of a specific event occurring.

How do I solve a simple probability problem?

To solve a simple probability problem, you need to identify the total number of possible outcomes and the number of desired outcomes. Then, you can use the formula P(event) = desired outcomes / total outcomes to calculate the probability of the event occurring.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability in a simple probability problem?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual trials or observations and may take into account real-world factors that can affect the outcomes.

Can a simple probability problem have more than two outcomes?

Yes, a simple probability problem can have any number of outcomes, as long as the scenario is straightforward and there is a limited number of possibilities. For example, rolling a six-sided die has six possible outcomes, while flipping a coin has only two.

How can I use simple probability in real life?

Simple probability is used in various real-life situations, such as predicting weather, analyzing stock market trends, and understanding the likelihood of winning in games of chance. It can also be used in decision-making, risk assessment, and data analysis in fields like finance, insurance, and sports.