1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple probability problem

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose i have 150 birds each having a survival rate of .5.

2. Relevant equations

What would be the probability that there are 0 birds after 5 times steps?

3. The attempt at a solution

The only way I could think of doing this would be to find the expected value after four time steps which would be 150*(.5)^4 = 4.6875. This would indicate that there are 4 birds left so I would find the probability 4 birds die in one time step which is .5^4. However, it is incorrect..

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2
    Anyone have an idea on how to start this?

4. May 9, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by survival rate you mean probability of survival, then you could model the problem as a Markov chain on the state space {0,1,2,...,150}. At any integer time point the current state is the number of birds still alive at that time. We start at time t = 0 in state 150. Whenever the state is i (i >= 1) the number of birds that will die during the next time step is a binomial random variable with parameters i and 0.5, so P{k birds die by time t+1|i alive at time t} = C(i,k)/2^i, for k = 0,1,2, ..., i, where C(a,b) is the binomial coefficient C(a,b) = a!/[b! (a-b)!]. If k birds die there will be i-k left alive at time t+1.

You can work out the 150x150 one-step transition probability matrix; its entries are binomial probabilities. You want the probability of being in state 0 at time 5. Since state 0 is "absorbing" (meaning that once you reach 0 you stay in state 0 forever), that means that you reach state 0 for the first time at t <= 5. The answer will just be the (0,150) element of the matrix P^5, the fifth power of P in the sense of matrix multiplication.

I would not call this a simple problem.

RGV

5. May 10, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of the method in my previous response, it is easier to tackle the problem directly, and using a generating function approach gives a surprisingly simple answer. Start with N birds. The number who die in the first time step is X1 = binomial(N,1/2), whose generating function is f1(z) = sum_{k=0..N} z^k*C(N,k)/2^N = (1/2 + 1/2 * z)^N. The number who die by the end of the second period is X1 + X2, where X1 = binomial(N,1/2), and X2 (given X1) is binomial(N-X1,1/2). The generating function of X1+X2 is f2(z) = E[z^(X1+X2)] = sum_{k} P{X1=k} E[z^(X1+X2)|X1=k] = sum_k P{X1=k} z^k * (1/2 + 1/2 * z)^(N-k) = ((1+z)/2)^N * f1(2*z/(1+z)) = [(1+z)^N /2^N](1/2 + 1/2 * 2*z/(1+z))^N = (1/4 + 3/4 * z)^N.

Note: this means that the P{X1+X2=k} = C(N,k)(3/4)^k (1/4)^(N-k).

In a similar way we can get the generating function fn(z) of X1+X2+...+Xn, and it is much simpler than I would ever have imagined. The final answer is simple, but I still would not call this a simple problem.

Note added in editing: to contradict the statement I made above---the problem IS simple if you look at it the right way. The trick is to look at the birds that survive, not the ones that die.

RGV

Last edited: May 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook