Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pulley

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am building a simple pulley for a weightlifting machine. In most cases pulleys are designed to lift heavier loads easier, I want to actually make it harder to lift the load… So I don't have to put so much weight on the end.

Can I amend my simple pulley design in a (simple) way to increase the force required to lift the load at the end?

In my example I want to lift the 50kg load… How would I make it double the load, so it feels like I am lifting 100kg?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Look at schemes that make a weight easier to lift and interchange the person pulling with the weight being lifted.

For example, end of rope attached to ceiling. Rope goes under a movable pulley attached to pull-handle and then over a pulley attached to the ceiling and then to a weight attached to the other end of the rope.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    For instance, look at the drawing

Attached Files:

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4
    Thank-you very much for your replies. Have got a few ideas in mind now about how to make it work.

Best regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook