Find Electron Concentration with Mass Density: A Simple Solution

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
In summary: The concentration of electrons in a neutron star is incredibly high, so it would be impossible to determine the concentration by just looking at the mass density of the object. You would have to know what type of nucleus the neutron star has and how many free neutrons are present.
ACLerok
Is there a way to find the electron concentration of an object (N/V; number of free electrons per unit volume) given only that it's mass density is 7.0 * 10^17 kg/m^3? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ACLerok said:
Is there a way to find the electron concentration of an object (N/V; number of free electrons per unit volume) given only that it's mass density is 7.0 * 10^17 kg/m^3? Thanks.

The short answer is: no.

You need to know what it is made of!

ACLerok said:
That is extremely dense material - as in a neutron star.

One would have to know the nuclear reactions taking place in order to determine the equilibrium concentration for free electrons, which would ostensibly come from the decay of free neutrons.

Pulsars have free electrons - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/astro/pulsar.html#c4

http://cassfos02.ucsd.edu/public/tutorial/SN.html - search for "free electrons" on the page

http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~bexmgr/xrpulsar.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
That is extremely dense material - as in a neutron star.
Good point.. I had not paid attention to the exponent of the density:redface: when I read the question. I thought it was ordinary matter. Thanks for pointing this out.

Ohh, I forgot to mention that the object is indeed a neutron star. Would u just multiply that number above by the mass of a single neutron? I am stuck.. :/

ACLerok said:
Ohh, I forgot to mention that the object is indeed a neutron star. Would u just multiply that number above by the mass of a single neutron? I am stuck.. :/

Wait a minute!:smile:
Are you asking for the concentration of *neutrons* or of *electrons*?? If it is a question about neutrons, then it is extremely simple. If it is a question about electrons, then it is quite advanced and Astronuc gave some hints in that direction. It makes a huge difference...It goes from a high scholl level question to a physics undergrad (or higher) level question!

Patrick

1. What is a simple question?

A simple question is a question that can be answered with a straightforward and concise answer. It typically involves a single topic or concept and does not require extensive explanation or background knowledge.

2. How do I come up with a simple question?

To come up with a simple question, start by identifying a specific topic or concept that you want to learn more about. Then, think about what information or clarification you need about that topic and formulate a question that can be answered in a direct and concise manner.

3. Why is it important to ask simple questions?

Asking simple questions is important because it allows for clear and efficient communication. It also helps to ensure that you fully understand a concept or topic by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable pieces.

4. How can I make sure my simple question is answered accurately?

To ensure your simple question is answered accurately, be specific and provide any relevant context or background information. Avoid using vague or ambiguous language and try to ask for a specific piece of information or clarification.

5. Can a simple question lead to a complex answer?

Yes, a simple question can sometimes lead to a complex answer, depending on the topic and the amount of detail required to fully explain it. However, the initial question itself should still be straightforward and easy to understand.