Simple Question: potential difference between two points on circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of potential difference in a circuit. The overall voltage in this specific circuit is 3V, and the direction of the current is defined by the higher voltage battery. The potential difference between points A and B can depend on where the voltage drops occur, but it is determined by the rules that the larger terminal of a battery is at a higher potential and the potential across a resistor decreases in the direction of the current. The potential difference between points A and B can be calculated as +3V or -3V, depending on the direction of the current.
mtu620

Homework Statement

See attached image. I'm having trouble applying the concept of potential difference in a circuit.
Vb-Va=?
Va-Vb=?

Homework Equations

Vab=Vb-Va

The Attempt at a Solution

The overall voltage is 5V-2V=3V. The direction of the current is defined by the higher voltage batter (i.e. ccw). Because current is defined as direction of positive charge flow,
Vb-Va=-3V
Va-Vb=+3V
Thus A is at a higher potential.

Is my reasoning correct?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,452
Physics news on Phys.org
There will also be voltage drops in the circuit, so the potential at A and B will depend on where the voltage drops happen. You haven't drawn the voltage drops (i.e. resistors or whatever). But they do need to be in there somewhere, so that Kirchhoff's laws are obeyed.

About the concept of potential difference: the keyword is difference. So if you have a battery for example, there will be some potential on one side and a different potential on the other side. I like to imagine it as the altitude of a person walking around a hilly countryside. So when the person makes a round trip, he knows he will be back at the same altitude he started at. (This explains why the emf's will equal the voltage drops in any given loop of a circuit).

I have attached a redrawn circuit.

Thanks. That does help. However, I am still confused on the signs for potential difference.

Req=3 ohms and V=3V, thus I=1A. Also, V1 + V2 =Vbatt=3V

What I'm confused about is if
Va-Vb=+3V or
Vb-Va=+3V or
neither?

and why?

Thanks so much again!

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,085
Yes. Getting the sign right can be difficult. There's 2 things to remember: The larger terminal of a battery is at a higher potential than the smaller terminal. (They are also called positive and negative, respectively). Also, the potential either side of a resistor decreases in the direction of the current through it. (This is because the resistor dissipates energy). In other words, if you follow the current through the resistor, you'll find the potential decreases.

So maybe now you have the problem: 'what direction is the current going?' Well, using the rules just above, you can find the direction which current must go so that Kirchhoff's laws are obeyed in the circuit.

Once you know which way the current is going (and what its value is), then you can find the potential difference between any two points on the circuit. (Using the same rules above).

Thanks, Bruce.
From what you've said, I've gathered that if the resistor is traveled in the direction of the current (ccw, 1A in this example) then the potential difference across the resistor is -IR.
Thus, traveling from + to - of battery (in the direction of the current), the potential difference is -Vbatt.

Thus, Va-Vb=-3V and
Vb-Va=+3V.

yes, the current is going ccw. And yes, if we 'travel ccw', the potential difference across the resistor in this direction will be -IR. Also, we are going ccw, so we are going from -ve to +ve terminals of the battery. (since the -ve terminal is on the left and the +ve is on the right). So the potential difference is +Vbatt.

mtu620 said:
I have attached a redrawn circuit.

Thanks. That does help. However, I am still confused on the signs for potential difference.

Req=3 ohms and V=3V, thus I=1A. Also, V1 + V2 =Vbatt=3V

What I'm confused about is if
Va-Vb=+3V or
Vb-Va=+3V or
neither?

and why?

Thanks so much again!

buddy ...
you take 2 points a and b
there is no matter of that a is near the +ve end of battery and b is near the -ve end of battery
we need to find pot. diff between 2 batteries
V at a will be (+5) - (+2)=+3 volt
V at b will be (-5) - (-2)= -3 volt
thus Va-Vb=(3)-(-3)= 6 volt
and Vb-VA=(-3)-(3)= -6volt

Related to Simple Question: potential difference between two points on circuit

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How do you calculate potential difference?

Potential difference can be calculated by dividing the energy (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs) that is transferred between the two points. Mathematically, it is expressed as V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb. Other common units for potential difference include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

4. What factors affect potential difference on a circuit?

Potential difference can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used in the circuit, the length and thickness of the wires, and the presence of any resistors or other components. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the amount of voltage in a circuit.

5. How is potential difference different from electric current?

While potential difference is a measure of the energy required to move charge between two points, electric current is a measure of the rate at which charge flows through a circuit. In other words, potential difference creates the driving force for electric current to flow. They are both important concepts in understanding the behavior of electricity in a circuit.