1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple RC and RL Transfer Functions

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    [Solved] Simple RC and RL Transfer Functions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the transfer function:

TF= (200)/(1 + j0.001w)

a. Determine the cuttoff frequency in radians per second and in hertz

2. Relevant equations

There are a couple other equations like this in the book, but I just don't grasp the concept or the formulas that the book offers which looks like TF(w)= Vout/Vin = A < Theta degrees.

3. The attempt at a solution

TF= Vout/Vin = 200 / (1 + j0.001w) --> converted to rectangular form

(200 < 0)/(1 < .057) = 200 < -.057

Which I know is horribly wrong, but these formulas just don't make sense to me. :/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    Figured it out and did some deeper reading online, came up with:

Wc= 1/t

Where in the equation TF=200/(1+j.001w), t=.001

So, 1/.001 = 1000

Then you take Wc/(2*pi)

Which then gives you 159.15 Hz

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Looks like you've already answered your own question, but I thought I'd elaborate...

To find the corner frequencies of a transfer function (incidentally, the transfer function you give is that of a low-pass filter--Wikipedia for it), you just have to find its poles ('w' which make the denominator go to zero).

In this case, you just set 1+0.001j*w to zero, and determine that w_c is 1000j, which you interpret as 1000 rad/s, or with the formula that w_c = 2*pi*f_c, 159 Hz. (Technically, it should be when the magnitude of the transfer function goes to zero, which gives you the two poles at +/-1000j, and hence, a real frequency of 1000 rad/s).

What is the physical significance of this divide by zero? (Assuming you haven't taken any complex analysis courses)--the system's 'quirks' emerge and have a significant impact (in the case of a low-pass filter, that frequencies higher than the cut-off get significantly attenuated or, cut-off, so to speak). Yes, yes, this is an idealized view of things, but it does give you significant useful information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?