Relativity and Length: A Simple Homework Question

• Thread starter kostasdb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the 20m long stick flies with 90% of the speed of light along the x-axis relative to a 10m long building. At some point in time, the stick is observed to be behind the building in its entire length.
kostasdb

Homework Statement

A 20 m long stick is flying with 90% of the speed of light along the x-axis relative to S. From our vantage point (S), it flies behind and parallel to a building that is 10 m long in the x-direction. Which of the following statements is not true?

1 The stick appears to have a length of only 8.72 m in S.

2 At some point in time, the stick is observed (according to careful measurements in S) to be behind the building in its entire length.

3 The stick does not have a "true" (rest)length, it is completely arbitrary which coordinate system one uses to measure its length, and every coordinate system will give a different but equally valid answer.

4 From the point of view of S', the building is way too short to obscure the stick at any time.

The Attempt at a Solution

All 4 statements seem true to me The stick does seem to be 8.72 m long according to S (L=L’/y=20m/2.294=8.72m). The building according to S’ would be 4.4m according to it(using the same formula as before) and too small to conceal the stick. All frames of reference are equally valid and technically, from S frame of reference the 8.72m stick can be behind a 10 m building. I must be missing something small here...

Physics news on Phys.org
For #3 - what does the inclusion of the word "rest" in parentheses indicate?
Is there a difference between a coordinate system and reference frame?
"...every coordinate system will give a different but equally valid answer..." to what question?

The problem itself is badly phrased - it does not state which reference frames the measurements are taken in.
The word "appears" technically does not belong in #1.

Rest length would seem to correspond to the S' since that in is the frame of reference in which it seems like other reference frames are moving while it is at "rest". So in that case i guess it would have a true rest length corresponding to S' in this case. Am i on the right track here?

The meaning of the words "rest length" is the length measured in a frame where the object is at rest.
Can there be more than one "rest length"?

kostasdb said:
Rest length would seem to correspond to the S' since that in is the frame of reference in which it seems like other reference frames are moving while it is at "rest". So in that case i guess it would have a true rest length corresponding to S' in this case. Am i on the right track here?

ALL reference frames see other reference frames as moving, not just S'. Any reference frame X' that is not moving relative to reference frame X IS reference frame X by definition.

This is where my confusion comes in. Focusing on #3, saying that there is a true length, whether at rest or not, would say one frame of reference is more "true" than another frame of reference which seems to go against the whole point that all reference points are equally valid. As far as the (rest) part comes in, i would guess there is only one "rest length" since there seems to be only one reference point that the stick doesn't seem to be moving and that is with the same velocity that the stick is traveling.

kostasdb said:
This is where my confusion comes in. Focusing on #3, saying that there is a true length, whether at rest or not, would say one frame of reference is more "true" than another...
The problem is sloppily written - yes. Q3 does not make a clear definition about what it means by "true". This means you have to use context to figure it out.

In this case, #3 explains, parenthetically, that "true" means "rest".
But then muddies the waters by talking about "validity".

This sort of confusion is why the correct word for a measurement taken in the rest frame is "proper".

... frame of reference which seems to go against the whole point that all reference points are equally valid.
What is valid or invalid depends on what you want the measurement for.
The correct term to describe the concept you are describing is "absolute" ... there is no absolute reference frame, no absolute speed.

As far as the (rest) part comes in, i would guess there is only one "rest length" since there seems to be only one reference point that the stick doesn't seem to be moving and that is with the same velocity that the stick is traveling.
That is correct ... there is only one rest frame.
Thus the stick only has one valid rest length.

But like I said - I'd also take issue with the word "appears" used here.
There is no "appears". It "is" or it "is not".
The stick is 8.72m long in S and it is 20m long in S'

You could also treat the problem as a process of elimination - of all the statements there, provided we accept that one of them must be false, which is the best candidate? Which is the most vague or tricky to interpret?

Ok ok, I'm pretty sure i have enough to answer the question. Thank you so much for your help! It is definitely appreciated.

1. What is the concept of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity or position.

2. How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the speed of light, which is constant and the maximum speed possible in the universe. This means that objects moving at high speeds will experience time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in Newtonian mechanics.

3. What is the equation for time dilation in special relativity?

The equation for time dilation in special relativity is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time measured by an observer in motion, t is the time measured by an observer at rest, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does special relativity explain the twin paradox?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin staying on Earth while the other travels in a high-speed rocket. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to their relative motion and the resulting time dilation.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many real-world applications, including GPS technology, nuclear power plants, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, such as the behavior of stars and galaxies, and the concept of black holes.