Simple Resistance-Temp relationship

• Thread starter PennStateFan1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the resistance of a copper coil at a temperature of -131.3 °C, given an initial resistance of 0.541 Ω at room temperature. The equation used is Ri=R0+R0(a(temp change)), where the temperature change is positive when it goes up and alpha is 4.3E-3. The attempt at a solution involves plugging in the values and getting a result of 0.189031 ohms, but there is some discussion about the accuracy of the input and the possibility of a coding error in the program. One person suggests using a different value for the temperature coefficient of copper (0.0039) and another suggests double-checking the R value used
PennStateFan1

Homework Statement

A copper coil has a resistance of 0.541 Ω at room temperature. What is its resistance when it is cooled to -131.3 °C?

Homework Equations

Ri=New resistance
R0=initial resistance
a=alpha

Ri=R0+R0(a(temp change))
temp change is positive when it goes up

alpha is 4.3E-3 in the book, so that is the right value
Room temp is 20 degC

The Attempt at a Solution

Ri=.541+.541(.0043)(-151.3)
Ri=.189031 ohms

I really feel like I'm doing this right and for all I know the homework program is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
PennStateFan1 said:
Ri=.189031 ohms

I really feel like I'm doing this right and for all I know the homework program is wrong.

Did you enter your result with that many significant figures? The program may be picky about that.

I tried fixing the sigfigs and its still wrong.

Looks good, but maybe the program is using a different value for the temperature coefficient of copper? I've seen it more commonly as 0.0039.

It's the right coefficient, because it told what table in the book to use. It's probably the coding for the program. It's a new book we're using and my teacher thinks there might be mistakes.

Look at the the R in your equation(0.541).This is the resistance at 20 degrees.Should it not be the resistance at 0 degrees?

R at 0 degrees=0.541/1+20 alpha
Dont forget that if alpha is referred to R at 0 degrees then the temperature drop is not 151.3

Last edited:
Okay, I don't know how late I am to answering your question, but the book I have says that the alpha is 3.9E-3, not 4.3E-3. Everything else is right in your problem because I just did a similar problem to yours in my homework and I got it right. :)

1. What is the Simple Resistance-Temp relationship?

The Simple Resistance-Temp relationship is a relationship between the resistance of a material and its temperature. It states that as the temperature of a material increases, its resistance also increases.

2. How is the Simple Resistance-Temp relationship calculated?

The Simple Resistance-Temp relationship is calculated using the formula R = R0(1 + αΔT), where R is the resistance at a given temperature, R0 is the initial resistance at a reference temperature, α is the temperature coefficient of resistance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of the Simple Resistance-Temp relationship?

The Simple Resistance-Temp relationship is significant because it helps us understand how the resistance of a material changes with temperature. This relationship is important in various fields such as electronics, material science, and thermodynamics.

4. What factors affect the Simple Resistance-Temp relationship?

The Simple Resistance-Temp relationship is affected by several factors including the type of material, its composition, and the temperature coefficient of resistance. It may also be affected by external factors such as humidity and pressure.

5. How is the Simple Resistance-Temp relationship used in practical applications?

The Simple Resistance-Temp relationship is used in practical applications such as temperature sensors, thermistors, and resistance thermometers. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and in the calibration of temperature measuring devices.