1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple statics

1. May 26, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to solve the problems on this page:

http://physics.uwstout.edu/StatStr/statics/StatII/statp21f.htm

The second last one is a bit hard for me, but I think I've got it. Just need to get my approach confirmed as correct. I first found the external support reactions, that went fine.

Then, to determine the force in CD, I first drew an FBD (free body diagram) of member ABC placing two uknown forces at point B (Bx and By) and the one given force at C (should I have placed two unknown forces here also, Cx and Cy ?). Solving this I found the values for Bx and By.

I now drew a new FBD for member BD, placing two new unknown forces (Dx and Dy) in point D along with the given force in the middle, the known force E, and Bx and By (which I found earlier) in point B. Solving for Dx I got the correct answer of 9000 lb, but is my approach valid, or was this just coincidence?

Any help will be appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Which problem is this? the third?

4. May 27, 2006 #3
    No, fourth.

5. May 27, 2006 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yes, member ABC ha Cx and Cy on its FBD.

So you took member BD, and put the forces at B (Bx and By), the forces at D (Dx and Dy, 4000 and the E force)??, plus the 5000 force in the middle??

6. May 27, 2006 #5
    You're doing too much work. You can solve for CD by just balancing the free body of member ABC now that you have the reactions at A. CD is a 2 force force member so it only has axial force (in its X direction), but you still have to apply the 10,000lb load to joint C in the Y direction when balancing the free body of ABC. Correctly sum moments on the free body of ABC and the force in CD can be found.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?