Simple Tension ProblemCan you confirm that I am doing it Right?

• Thread starter MJC8719
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the picture hanging on the wall is suspended by two strings with an angle of 72° and a tension of 2.0 N in string 1. The angle of the second string is 32°. The tension in string 2 is calculated to be .72877N, and the weight of the picture is 2.3128N. The angles are measured from the horizontal.
MJC8719
A picture hangs on the wall suspended by two strings, as shown in Figure 6-24, with = 72°. The tension in string 1 is 2.0 N. Tha angle of the second string is 32°.

So because I am an idiot and keep getting sin and cos confused (stupid mistake), I have one last submission on this problem and was hoping someone could tell me whether or not I am following the correct path.

Verify your answer to part (a) by calculating the tension in string 2.
Since the forces of x will cancel one another, you know
2cos72 = xcos32
x = .72877N

(c) What is the weight of the picture

The weight T=mg would just be the sum of the tensions in the Y direction divided by 9.8 correct??

In this case M = 2sin72 + .7287sin32/9.8
= .236

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether your sines and cosines are correct depends on where the angles are measured from. If string 1 is 72 degrees from the horizontal, then you have it straight. (We can't see the diagram, so it's up to you.)

For part (c) realize that they asked for the weight, not the mass.

So that means the final weight of the picture would be
W = mg
= .236(9.8)
= 2.3128N

And yes, the angles are from the horizontal

thanks

That sounds about right. But please don't divide by 9.8 only to then immediately multiply by 9.8. (And review your calculations for round-off errors, being sure to round off to the appropriate number of digits.)

1. How do I calculate tension in a simple tension problem?

To calculate tension in a simple tension problem, you will need to use the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between tension and weight?

Tension is the force exerted on an object by a string or cable, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Tension is a vector quantity, whereas weight is a scalar quantity.

3. How do I draw a free body diagram for a simple tension problem?

To draw a free body diagram for a simple tension problem, you will need to represent the object as a dot and draw arrows to represent the forces acting on it. The tension force should be represented by an arrow pointing away from the object, while the weight should be represented by an arrow pointing downwards.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving simple tension problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in solving simple tension problems include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not using the correct formula for tension, and not paying attention to the direction of the tension force.

5. Can you provide an example of a simple tension problem and walk me through the solution?

Sure, let's say we have a mass of 5 kg hanging from a rope. The rope is attached to the ceiling and the mass is in equilibrium. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To solve this problem, we would first draw a free body diagram, with an arrow pointing downwards for the weight (W = mg) and an arrow pointing upwards for the tension force (T). Using the formula T = mg, we can calculate the tension force to be T = (5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 49 N. This means that the rope is pulling upwards on the mass with a force of 49 N, keeping it in equilibrium.