Simple trigonometric simplification

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometric
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to show that sec(x-(pi/2))+tan(x-(pi/2))=tan((x/2)+pi/12) and the use of half angle formulas. The person suggests plotting first before attempting to prove an unfamiliar result. They also mention that the equation written is not correct and advise to post the entire question for further assistance.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that sec(x-(pi/2))+tan(x-(pi/2))=tan((x/2)+pi/12))

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied all sorts of half angle formulas to convert it in terms of tan, I got LHS as (tan((x/2)-(pi/6))+1)^2/1-tan^2(x/2-(pi/6)) but I'm sure there must be a simple easy method to get the RHS (PS this is part of a bigger problem, I got the answer as LHS, I need to equate it to RHS for my answer to be correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Show that sec(x-(pi/2))+tan(x-(pi/2))=tan((x/2)+pi/12))

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied all sorts of half angle formulas to convert it in terms of tan, I got LHS as (tan((x/2)-(pi/6))+1)^2/1-tan^2(x/2-(pi/6)) but I'm sure there must be a simple easy method to get the RHS (PS this is part of a bigger problem, I got the answer as LHS, I need to equate it to RHS for my answer to be correct

If you plot both sides you will see that the equation you wrote is not correct.

Here is a piece of advice: always try plotting first, before attempting to prove an unfamiliar result; sometimes you can save yourself hours of useless work by doing that.

Likes scottdave
Ray Vickson said:
If you plot both sides you will see that the equation you wrote is not correct.

Here is a piece of advice: always try plotting first, before attempting to prove an unfamiliar result; sometimes you can save yourself hours of useless work by doing that.
right, got it. I'll need to post the entire question then

1. What is simple trigonometric simplification?

Simple trigonometric simplification is a process of reducing complex trigonometric expressions into simpler forms using trigonometric identities and basic algebraic techniques.

2. Why is simple trigonometric simplification important?

Simple trigonometric simplification is important because it allows us to solve complex trigonometric equations and expressions more easily and accurately. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in simplification?

Some common trigonometric identities used in simplification are the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. How do I simplify a trigonometric expression step by step?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can follow these steps:

1. Use the given identities to replace any complex trigonometric functions with simpler ones.

2. Apply basic algebraic techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and using the distributive property.

3. Simplify the expression further by using identities again if needed.

4. Check your final answer by plugging in values for the variables or using a calculator.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions include:

- Forgetting to use parentheses when applying distributive property.

- Not simplifying fractions or rational expressions.

- Mixing up the signs of trigonometric functions (e.g. using cosine instead of sine).

It is important to double check your work and be careful with signs and operations when simplifying trigonometric expressions.