Simple vector component question

In summary, when resolving a force into its components at an angle, the components along the original angle will add up to the original force, while the perpendicular components will cancel out. This explains why the sum of components is not always equal to the initial force. Additionally, when an object is at rest, it is being acted upon by two forces - the force of gravity and the normal force. The normal force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity in order to prevent the object from sinking through the floor. Therefore, if there is an additional force acting on the object at an angle, it must have a parallel component equal to the force of gravity in order to maintain equilibrium, resulting in a greater total force acting
CanElec
Hi I am solving a problem at work right now and in order to do so I had to dust off my old physics book. But I've come across something which once made sense but I don't understand it now.

If you have a force, say 100lbs, acting at an angle, say 45 degrees, and break it up into its components why don't the components add up to 100 lbs? Both horizontal and vertical components end up around 70lbs.

So the sum of the forces acting upon the object being pushed against is approximately 140 lbs? Where does the extra force come from? Shouldn't the sum of the components equal the initial force?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you resolve the two 70 lb components onto a pair of axes, along the 45 deg angle you started with and a line perpendicular to it, you will find that the components along the 45 deg line add up to 100 lbs, while the components along the perpendicular are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, so they cancel.

If there is a mass which is in rest, the gravitational force F that acts on it equals the mass m times the gravitational acceleration g (F=mg). This force points towards the center of the earth. In order to prevent the mass from accelerating through the floor or whatever it is resting on, a force of equal magnitude but opposite direction must act on it (the normal force). If there is a force that acts on the object at an angle (i.e. not in the opposite direction of gravity), it still has to have a parallel component which is equal in magnitude and opposite to the force of gravity. Since it also has a horizontal force (which does not help preventing the object sink through the floor) the resultant force of the two must be bigger than the normal force alone.

1. What is a vector component?

A vector component is a part or element of a vector that represents the magnitude and direction of a physical quantity, such as force, velocity, or acceleration. It can be thought of as the building blocks of a vector.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

The components of a vector can be found by using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, to break down the vector into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of its direction angle, and the vertical component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the direction angle.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector component?

A scalar component represents only the magnitude of a quantity, while a vector component represents both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity with both speed and direction.

4. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. The sign of a vector component indicates its direction, with positive values representing a component in the positive direction and negative values representing a component in the negative direction.

5. How are vector components used in physics?

Vector components are used in physics to break down complex physical quantities into simpler, more manageable parts. They are also used to accurately represent the direction and magnitude of physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, in mathematical equations and calculations.