Solve Simple Velocity Problem: Understanding Integration and Momentum

• Thread starter teclo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, you use integration to calculate the final velocity of an object after applying a force for two seconds.
teclo
hi, I'm wondering if anyone could explain to me why one uses the following technique to solve this problem.

Let's say we've a 10 kg object. The force exerted on it is

F = 10 + 2t

The force acts on it for two (2) seconds. If it starts at rest, what is the final velocity?

I used this technique to solve the problem, after first making a mistake

dp = F(net) * dt

breaking that down to

dp = (10 + 2t) * dt

integration giving

10t + t^2 from 0 to 2

giving

24 kg * m/s

so

dp = 24 kg * m/s
m(v(2)-v(1)) = 24 kg * m/s
10 kg (v(2)-0) = 24 kg * m/s
v(2) = 2.4 m/s

this is the correct answer, however, initially i tried

m(v(2)-v(1)) = (10 + 2t) * dt

10 kg (v(2)-0) = 14N * 2s

resulting in a velocity of 2.8 m/s

why do i use integration before involving momentum is my question. thanks for anyone who might be able to help!

Physics news on Phys.org
teclo said:
why do i use integration before involving momentum is my question. thanks for anyone who might be able to help!

Even though i haven't taken calculus yet, according to your equation of the Force applied

F = 10 + 2t

The force applied during those 2 seconds is changing. thus you can't just use the quation F*t = change in momentum since you're saying the force of 14 N is applied for 2 seconds even though that wasn't true.

i hadn't though of it in that manner. i suppose i should have since force is related to time. the only reason i thought to use integration is because i had the equation p = (10 + 2t) *dt. the area of the graph would be in units of momentum.

thanks!

(still would appreciate explanation of usage of integration other than realizing area of function is in units of momentum)

Integrating a function is a method of finding the area beneath it. There's an elegant proof found in most calculus books that connects Rieman's sums (which is really just adding a bunch of infinately small shapes together to find area) to integration. Thus, since integration is much simpler than using Rieman's sums, integration is the preferred technique for finding area beneath a curve.

thanks for the help. i actually realized what was going on while on the way to the grocery store. p = F(net) dt -- if f is changing every t the area beneath the curve at that point would be the net force acting at t -- therefor by integrating from 0 to 2 I'm getting the total amount of force from that duration. from the net force i can determine velocity based on the change in momentum.

duh, I'm retarded

thanks again for the help.

What is simple velocity problem?

Simple velocity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object in a straight line motion. It is typically solved using the formula: velocity = distance/time.

What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

How do you calculate velocity if the distance and time are given in different units?

If the distance and time are given in different units, you will need to convert them to the same unit before using the velocity formula. For example, if the distance is given in kilometers and the time is given in hours, you will need to convert kilometers to meters and hours to seconds before calculating velocity.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated over a longer period of time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific point in time.

What factors can affect an object's velocity?

An object's velocity can be affected by forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. The mass and shape of an object can also affect its velocity, as well as any external forces acting on the object.