Simple (was thought to be) Gravity Question

• Thread starter grantP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the problem involves a ball being rolled up a constant slope and reaching a maximum displacement of 2.6m after 3.6s, then rolling back down. The question is asking for the initial velocity of the ball when it started up the slope. The solution involves using the equation d=Vit+.5at^2, with emphasis on the plus sign due to the negative acceleration caused by gravity. The correct answer is 1.4m/s. It is recommended to ask multiple questions in the same thread if they are similar in nature.
grantP
[SOLVED] Simple (was thought to be) Gravity Question

Homework Statement

A ball is rolled up a constant slope. After 3.6 s it reaches its maximum displacement of 2.6m, and then begins to roll back down. What was the initial velocity of the ball when it started up the slope?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that d=vt of course, but, 2.6=v(3.6), and V would equal 2.6 divided by 3.6 which is .722, and the answer in the key is 1.4m/s?? In all likelihood, its probably something extremely obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use d=vt because there is an acceleration due to gravity
use d=vt-.5at^2

you mean d=Vit+.5at^2, emphasis on plus sign?

well yes, in this case the acceleration is negative but the formula you gave is the more general form.

grantP said:
you mean d=Vit+.5at^2, emphasis on plus sign?

edit: thanks by the way, the question screwed me up w/ the word constant, plus I am taking my very first physics course (phys. 11)----one more question is i might have quite a few questions today...will mods get mad for me making quite a few threads? (maybe 10?)

If they're the same types of problems I'd just stick them in the same thread.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by bending space and time, creating a force that pulls objects towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. Why is gravity important?

Gravity is important because it keeps objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets around the sun. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and structure of galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies.

4. Was gravity always thought to be simple?

No, gravity was not always thought to be simple. In fact, for many centuries, people believed that objects fell towards the ground because they were seeking their natural resting place at the center of the universe. It wasn't until Isaac Newton's theory of gravity in the 17th century that we began to understand it as a force.

5. Are there any unanswered questions about gravity?

Yes, there are still unanswered questions about gravity, such as how it relates to other fundamental forces, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and how it operates on a quantum level. These questions continue to be the subject of ongoing research and scientific inquiry.