What is the angle of static friction for two boxes with different masses?

• Thread starter quakedude
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is new to the forum and is looking to take courses for university. They have a question about two boxes with different masses but the same coefficient of static friction, and they want to know the angle at which each box will begin to slide. After some calculations, they determine that the maximum angle before sliding is 21.8 degrees. They also mention needing to refresh their studies and potentially seeking help with calculus in the future.
quakedude
Hello all! I am new to this forum, although I browse around here often, I recently took the plunge to make an account. I finished my college a few years ago and want to move back into schooling for uni so I need to do some courses over the next few months. please be patient, sometimes I forget the simplest of things. for instance..

I am not sure if this is a trick question, I have 2 boxes of different mass but same static friction... if I am not mistaken, I believe both boxes will begin to slide at the same angle, regardless of weight..

Homework Statement

2 boxes, 10 KG and 20 KG with a coefficient of static friction of 0.4. calculate the angle each box begins to slide

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume neither of the masses are taken into account for this so.. I did

∅=arctan⁡(µs)
∅=tan^(-1) ⁡(0.4)
∅=21.8°

therefore each box will begin to slide at any angle ABOVE 21.8 right ? I would assume the 21.8 is the MAX angle before they begin to slide. or am I missing something important ?

Physics news on Phys.org
you've got it correct by using the equation tan(theta) = µs (for maximum angle without sliding, 'theta'). If you want to understand more, then you can also derive this equation.

P.S. Welcome to physicsforums, I'm glad you've posted.

awesome! thank you! I know this is simple stuff, I am just in need of refreshing, and need to get back into the (study ) zone that I haven't been in a few years.

thank you again, and it looks like I might be populating the calculus threads in a few weeks, that is my weakest subject :@

1. What does "simple yet I need refreshing" mean?

"Simple yet I need refreshing" refers to something that is easy or basic, but at the same time, it requires some form of rejuvenation or improvement.

2. What are some examples of things that are "simple yet I need refreshing"?

Some examples could include a basic daily routine that needs to be changed, a plain outfit that needs some accessorizing, or a simple recipe that needs to be spiced up.

3. Why is it important to refresh simple things?

Refreshing simple things can prevent boredom and monotony, and it can also bring new energy and excitement to our daily lives. It can also help us to continuously grow and improve.

4. How can I refresh something that is simple?

You can refresh something that is simple by making small changes, trying new things, or adding something new to the mix. This could include changing up your routine, adding a pop of color to your outfit, or experimenting with different ingredients in a recipe.

5. Can refreshing something simple have a positive impact on my life?

Yes, refreshing simple things can have a positive impact on your life by bringing new perspectives, creating new experiences, and helping you to continuously learn and grow. It can also prevent you from feeling stuck or stagnant in your daily life.