1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying an integrand

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    This equality is given in an example, in my textbook:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^2+x^2}dx=\frac{1}{a^2}\int\frac{1}{1+(\frac{x}{a})^2}dx[/itex]

So, my question is simply... how?
    This is really more of an algebra question, but it'd really help me to see some more detail here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    [itex]\frac{1}{a^2+x^2} = \frac{1}{a^2(1+ \frac{x^2}{a^2})} = \frac{1}{a^2}\frac{1}{1+ (\frac{x}{a})^2}[/itex]

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3
    I see that... sort of. It's a form of factoring, obviously.
    I don't quite get the [itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}[/itex] bit, though...
    Well, wait: [itex]a^2\times1=a^2[/itex] obviously, and [itex]a^2\times\frac{x^2}{a^2}=x^2[/itex] right? Neat trick, there. Completely obvious too, now that I think about it, but... I guess that I just didn't realize that could be done. Weird.

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4
    Just think of it as factoring out an a2 from the bottom. Here's an easier example:
    [tex]\frac{1}{4+x^{2}}=\frac{1}{(4)1+\frac{x^{2}}{4}}=(\frac{1}{4})\frac{1}{1+{\frac{x^{2}}{4}}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted