Simplifying Integrands: How to Factor Out Constants in the Denominator?

• Thread starter ohms law
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the given equality is a form of factoring where an a^2 is factored out from the bottom, resulting in \frac{1}{a^2}\int\frac{1}{1+(\frac{x}{a})^2}dx. This can also be seen in a simpler example where \frac{1}{4+x^{2}} is factored into (\frac{1}{4})\frac{1}{1+{\frac{x^{2}}{4}}}.
ohms law
This equality is given in an example, in my textbook:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^2+x^2}dx=\frac{1}{a^2}\int\frac{1}{1+(\frac{x}{a})^2}dx[/itex]

So, my question is simply... how?
This is really more of an algebra question, but it'd really help me to see some more detail here.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{1}{a^2+x^2} = \frac{1}{a^2(1+ \frac{x^2}{a^2})} = \frac{1}{a^2}\frac{1}{1+ (\frac{x}{a})^2}[/itex]

I see that... sort of. It's a form of factoring, obviously.
I don't quite get the [itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}[/itex] bit, though...
Well, wait: [itex]a^2\times1=a^2[/itex] obviously, and [itex]a^2\times\frac{x^2}{a^2}=x^2[/itex] right? Neat trick, there. Completely obvious too, now that I think about it, but... I guess that I just didn't realize that could be done. Weird.

Just think of it as factoring out an a2 from the bottom. Here's an easier example:
[tex]\frac{1}{4+x^{2}}=\frac{1}{(4)1+\frac{x^{2}}{4}}=(\frac{1}{4})\frac{1}{1+{\frac{x^{2}}{4}}}[/tex]

Related to Simplifying Integrands: How to Factor Out Constants in the Denominator?

1. What does it mean to simplify an integrand?

Simplifying an integrand involves reducing a mathematical expression inside an integral to its simplest form. This can make the integration process easier and more manageable.

2. Why is it important to simplify an integrand?

Simplifying an integrand can make it easier to find a solution to the integral. It can also help in identifying patterns and relationships between different terms in the integral.

3. How do I simplify an integrand?

To simplify an integrand, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, or using trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic mathematical rules and properties.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an integrand?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to distribute negative signs, making errors in algebraic simplification, and not using appropriate substitution or trigonometric identities.

5. Can simplifying an integrand change the solution to an integral?

Yes, simplifying an integrand can change the solution to an integral. However, as long as the simplification is done correctly, the final answer should remain the same.