Simplifying Circuit Diagrams: Understanding Topology and Resistor Placement

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a circuit and whether or not the two drawn circuits are the same. It is suggested to upload a diagram to a photobucket account and post the link instead of attaching it. The question is raised if moving wires around can change the resistors in series or parallel, and it is determined that the key is the topology of the circuit. As long as the terminals are connected at any node, the layout of the circuit does not matter for DC circuits.
johnj7

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, but I'm studying for the mcat, and had some trouble figuring out how to simplify a circuit. Could someone look at the attached picture pdf? (the diagram is painless, i promise) Are the circuits I have drawn the same?

Thank you!

Attachments

• [Untitled].pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
It may take awhile to get your attachment approved. I would suggest uploading the diagram to a photobucket account (or something of the sort), and posting the link.

johnj7 said:

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, but I'm studying for the mcat, and had some trouble figuring out how to simplify a circuit. Could someone look at the attached picture pdf? (the diagram is painless, i promise) Are the circuits I have drawn the same?

Thank you!

All the resistors with values are connected to the same node in your drawing. Why wouldn't they be the same?

hmm, well i just thought it was a bit confusing, i didn't know you could move wires around like that, because maybe that would change which resistors are in series or in parallel. but i guess that's not true at all.

so bottom line is, you can move the wires however you like as long as its just wire and no resistors are moved/replaced?

johnj7 said:
hmm, well i just thought it was a bit confusing, i didn't know you could move wires around like that, because maybe that would change which resistors are in series or in parallel. but i guess that's not true at all.

so bottom line is, you can move the wires however you like as long as its just wire and no resistors are moved/replaced?

The key is topology as to which components are connected to which nodes. If you change that - you changed the circuit. But so long as the terminals are connected together at any node ... it really doesn't matter. (In high speed digital circuit layouts, it might for different reasons, like speed and noise. But for these kinds of DC circuits not.)

Related to Simplifying Circuit Diagrams: Understanding Topology and Resistor Placement

1. What is a circuit diagram and why is it important?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit, showing how the different components are connected and how they function. It is important because it allows engineers and technicians to understand and troubleshoot complex circuits, and also serves as a blueprint for building and repairing circuits.

2. How do I read a circuit diagram?

Reading a circuit diagram can seem overwhelming at first, but it is actually quite simple. The circuit is shown as a series of symbols representing different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. These components are connected by lines representing wires or conductors. The flow of current is shown by arrows, and the voltage source is usually indicated by a plus (+) and minus (-) sign. It is important to follow the flow of current and understand the function of each component to read a circuit diagram accurately.

3. What are the common symbols used in circuit diagrams?

Some common symbols used in circuit diagrams include resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, batteries, switches, and wires. These symbols are standardized and universally recognized, making it easier for engineers to communicate and understand circuit designs.

4. How do I draw a circuit diagram?

Drawing a circuit diagram requires a basic understanding of circuit components and their symbols. The first step is to identify the components needed for the circuit and their connections. Next, use graph paper or a computer program to draw the symbols and connect them with wires. It is important to label each component and wire to avoid confusion. Practice and patience are key to mastering the art of drawing accurate circuit diagrams.

5. Can I use a circuit diagram to build a circuit?

Yes, a circuit diagram can serve as a guide for building a circuit. However, it is important to have a good understanding of circuit components and their functions before attempting to build a circuit from a diagram. It is also important to double-check the connections and components to ensure accuracy and safety.