Solving for the Inverse Function of a Quadratic Equation

In summary, the student was asked to find the inverse of a function that only existed for x<0, but when restricted to x\ge 0, the function had the correct inverse.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

[itex] f(x) = 3x^2-6 [/itex]

We are asked to solve for the inverse function of the above function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] y=3x^2-6 [/itex]
[itex] x=3y^2-6 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{3y^2=x+6}{3} [/itex]
[itex] y^2 = \frac{x+6}{3} [/itex]
[itex] \sqrt{y^2}= \frac{\sqrt{x+6}}{3} [/itex]
[itex] y= \frac{\sqrt{x+6}}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]
[itex] y= \frac{\sqrt{x+6}}{\sqrt{3}} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]
[itex] y= \frac{\sqrt{3x+18}}{3} [/itex]
[itex] f^{-1}(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3x+18}}{3} [/itex]

however, my teacher marked me wrong. I don't know why. I might ask her tomorrow but it's our mastery test and she might not explain it to me. Anyone care to tell me what wrong I did? Is it the rationalization? Is it supposed to have a radical denominator? Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the exact wording of the question? Since [itex]3x^2- 6[/itex] is not one-to-one, strictly speaking it does not have an inverse.

If we restrict the original function to [itex]f(x)= 3x^2- 6[/itex] for [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and not defined for x< 0, then
[tex]f^{-1}(x)= \sqrt{\frac{x+ 6}{3}}= \frac{\sqrt{x+ 6}}{\sqrt{3}}= \frac{\sqrt{3x+ 18}}{3}[/tex]

If we restrict the original function to [itex]f(x)= 3x^2- 6[/itex] for [itex]x\le 0[/tex]
and not defined for x> 0, then
[tex]f^{-1}(x)= -\sqrt{\frac{x+ 6}{3}}= -\frac{\sqrt{x+ 6}}{\sqrt{3}}= -\frac{\sqrt{3x+ 18}}{3}[/tex]

Your teacher might accept
[tex]f^{-1}(x)= \pm\frac{\sqrt{x+ 6}}{\sqrt{3}}= \pm\frac{\sqrt{3x+ 18}}{3}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
oooh. Her instructions was that we need to change a list of functions into inverse functions, nothing more. I think she was exercising us in changing functions to inverse functions but did not bother to tell us that functions need to be one-to-one to have an inverse. She didn't also provide any other information like restrictions [itex] x \leq 0[/itex] or [itex]x \geq 0[/itex]
so I guess she'll have to accept my answer. Thanks for helping! :)

just want to say that she accepted it. :) Thanks!

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" another function. In other words, if a function f(x) takes an input x and produces an output y, the inverse function f-1(x) takes the output y and produces the input x.

Why do we need to simplify inverse functions?

Simplifying inverse functions helps us to better understand the relationship between the original function and its inverse. It also allows us to solve equations involving inverse functions more easily.

How do you simplify inverse functions?

To simplify an inverse function, you can use algebraic manipulation techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and applying inverse operations. You can also use the properties of inverse functions, such as the fact that the composition of a function and its inverse is equal to the identity function.

What are the steps for finding the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, follow these steps:

1. Write the original function as y = f(x).
  2. Swap the x and y variables.
  3. Solve for y.
  4. The resulting equation is the inverse function, written as y = f-1(x).

Can all functions be inverted?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. Functions that fail the horizontal line test (where a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function more than once) do not have an inverse.