Simplifying, two 2nd order linear differential equations

In summary: M + ag + abh + aci + adk + ael + afl + bh + ci - dj - ek - fl)/(a + d)In summary, to solve the given equations, we can combine them into a single equation and use the initial conditions to express the variables in terms of y''. This will allow us to write the resulting equation in the form of y'' + y' + y = k, where k is a constant.
bsktr
I'm working on a computer programming project on matlab,
and need an equation in the form of y'' + y' + y = 0 or k or inthe form of y' + y = 0 or k..
everything will be simple for me after that

but I have these two equations

N - ay'' - by' - cy - dx'' - ex' - fx = 0
M - gy'' - hy' - iy - jx'' - kx' - lx = 0 where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l are constants N,M=c sinwt and y(0)=x(0)=y'(0)=x'(0)=0

can you propose me method to be able to arrange these. I didn't deal with diff. eqns . more than 3 years, I may need some help to remember,

if you can help, please do so, I don't have much time :(

Physics news on Phys.org
First, let's combine the two equations into a single equation. Notice that the terms with y and y'' are identical in both equations. We can subtract one equation from the other to eliminate those terms:N - M = ay'' - by' - cy + dx'' + ex' + fx - gy'' + hy' + iy - jx'' - kx' - lx Now we have an equation of the form: N - M = a(y'' - g) - b(y' - h) - c(y - i) + d(x'' - j) + e(x' - k) + f(x - l)To solve this equation, we need to express the variables y, y'', x, x'', and x' in terms of y''. To do this, we will use the initial conditions given above. Since y(0) = x(0) = y'(0) = x'(0) = 0, we can use the following identities:y = y' = x = x' = 0 y'' = -(a/g)y' - (b/g)y - (c/g) - (d/g)x' - (e/g)x - (f/g)Substituting these expressions into our equation, we obtain:N - M = a(-g - (a/g)y' - (b/g)y - (c/g) - (d/g)x' - (e/g)x - (f/g)) - b(y' - h) - c(y - i) + d(x'' - j) + e(x' - k) + f(x - l)Simplifying the equation, we obtain:N - M = -ag - abh - aci - adk - ael - afl - bh - ci + dj + ek + flThis equation can be written as a differential equation of the form y'' + y' + y = k, where k is a constant. To do this, we need to solve for y'' in terms of the other terms. Rearranging the equation, we obtain:y'' = (N -

What is the concept of simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations?

Simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations involves reducing two differential equations of the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = R(x) to a single equation of the form y'' + Py' + Qy = R.

Why is it important to simplify two 2nd order linear differential equations?

Simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations can make the equations easier to solve and analyze. It also allows for a more efficient use of mathematical techniques and can reveal underlying patterns and relationships.

What are some common techniques for simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations?

Some common techniques for simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations include substitution, integration, and using properties of linear differential equations such as linearity and homogeneity.

Can simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations lead to loss of information?

In some cases, simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations can lead to loss of information, particularly if the equations are highly complex or if certain terms are omitted. It is important to carefully consider the simplification process and its effects on the overall understanding of the equations.

Are there any limitations to simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations?

Yes, there are certain limitations to simplifying two 2nd order linear differential equations. For example, simplification may not be possible if the equations are non-linear or if there are multiple variables involved. Additionally, simplifying too much can lead to a loss of information, as mentioned earlier.