Simply cannot remember int/diff formulas

• Thread starter mmapcpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, this expert summarizer is having a hard time remembering all of the formulas for integration and differentiation. However, she recommends practicing problems until they become second nature, and that knowing a few basic identities will make the process easier.
mmapcpro
I'm currently reviewing calculus that I learned 10 years ago, because I will be resuming an electrical engineering program in the fall.

I am simply having a heck of a time remembering all of the formulas. Basically, I'm having to look at the problem, look at the list of elementary integration/differentiation formulas, see if I can manipulate the equation to best fit one of the formulas, and then work the problem based on the best method.

For example, looking at an integration problem, and noticing, "oh hey...that's a sqrt(a^2-u^2) in the denominator...lemme see which substitution would be best to use, etc. Then once I get it in the form I want, I usually ahve to look up WHAT the integration is...for instance, arcsin(u/a) + c, in this example.

I'm nervous that I'm not going to have what it takes to be successful in this program, if I cant' even remember these formulas.

Physics news on Phys.org
is there a question in here somewhere ?

If I can't memorize all of the integration and differentiation formulas for trigs, hyperbolics, all the inverses, etc...is that going to be a big problem in my academic career? Or as long as I know what I'm looking for, is that sufficient?

noticing, "oh hey...that's a sqrt(a^2-u^2) in the denominator.
see if I can manipulate the equation to best fit one of the formulas
These two are very important skills. The first one reflects the ability to look at a problem and recognize it as something you can do (or, at least, similarity to things you can do). The second reflects the ability to actually transform a problem from its given form into the form you know how to solve.

Actually memorizing the solution method for the particular form (as opposed to knowing where to look it up) is something that can be trained through practice, if it is really necessary.

Actually it is quite hard plainly remembering the formulas. If you derive them,or know why they work it is much easier.

If you know a few identities, everything gets easier.

[tex] 1 + \tan(x)^2 = \sec(x) [/tex]

This identity shows why we use the tan substitution when dealing with

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+x^2}[/tex] (Try it for yourself)

The same is with another identity

[tex] cos(x)^2 \, + \, sin(x)^2 \, = \, 1 [/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{a^2 - x^2} [/tex]

Anyho, just do a billion problems. After a while it sinks into your blood. Here is a list of a bunch of fun integration problems. You really have to think to solve a few of these, and that should be right up your alley =)

http://www.2shared.com/document/fTXjMCFj/Integrals_from_R_to_Z.html

Also here, tad more info

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=498665

Last edited:

1. What are some strategies for remembering complex formulas?

One strategy is to break the formula down into smaller, simpler parts and focus on understanding each part individually before trying to remember the entire formula. Another strategy is to create visual aids or memory aids, such as acronyms or pictures, to help remember the formula. Practice and repetition can also be effective for remembering formulas.

2. Why is it important to remember formulas?

Remembering formulas is important because they serve as the foundation for solving complex problems and conducting experiments in various fields of science. Being able to recall formulas quickly and accurately can save time and help in making accurate predictions and conclusions.

3. How can I improve my memory for formulas?

There are several techniques that can help improve memory for formulas, such as practicing regularly, creating visual aids, and using mnemonic devices. It can also be helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the formula, rather than just trying to memorize it.

4. What should I do if I simply cannot remember a formula?

If you are struggling to remember a formula, take a step back and try to understand the concepts and principles behind it. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, or ask a colleague or mentor for help. If all else fails, you can always use a formula sheet or calculator to solve the problem.

5. Are there any tips for remembering formulas during exams?

Yes, it can be helpful to create a cheat sheet or formula sheet to use during exams. This allows you to quickly reference any formulas you may have trouble remembering. It is also important to practice regularly leading up to the exam and get enough sleep the night before to help with memory recall. During the exam, take your time and read each question carefully to determine which formula is needed to solve it.