Simpson's rule can solve cubics exactly

• Thread starter zeta101
  • Start date
In summary, Simpson's rule can solve cubics exactly, as well as quadratics, but it is not clear why. There is no explanation readily available online. The most straightforward way to prove it would be to apply Simpson's rule to a generic cubic. It is possible to set x_0 = 0 without losing generality, and a possible method is to subtract x_0 from both the upper and lower limits of the integral. It is also possible to prove that Simpson's rule works for the sum of two polynomials by using the rule that integration is linear.
zeta101
Simpson's rule can solve cubics exactly...(as well as quadratics which makes sense) the question is why? I've googled around and can't find an explanation, although it is just stated as being true.

Can someone offer and explanation or a website?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The most straightforward way to try and prove it would be to apply Simpson's rule to a generic cubic. (i.e. ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d)

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell me that if the integral is from x_0 to x_0 + 2h then can i set x_0 = 0 and it still be a proof (it's a lot simplier if i do)? or have i lost generality?

Thanks again!

Instead of simply wondering if it's okay, you could try and prove it's okay. Can you find a way to convert the general problem into this form?

having thought about it this is the only thing i can think of:

[tex]int_{x_0}^{x_0+2h} -----> int_{x_0 -x_0}^{x_0+2h-x_0}[/tex]

so, that's saying that the integral doesn't lose any generality by subtracting [tex]x_0[/tex] (a constant) from both the upper and lower limits (i don't know for certain i can do this, but it seems ok). So if it still stays general then setting [tex]x_0[/tex] to zero is also.

please tell me i am right :)

thanks for the guidance

Last edited:
You only need to prove that appling simpsons rule to x^3 gives the same answer as integration.

Thi
It should be clear that if simpsons works for both polynomials p(x) and q(x) then it works for p(x)+ q(x). Because int (p(x)+q(x)) = int(p(x)) + int(q(x))
and the same rule applies to Simpsons rule since using simpsons rule on the function p(x) +q(x) gives area =( b-a)/6*( p(a)+ q(a) +
4*(p(a+b)/2)+ q((a+b)/2) + p(b) + q(b)).

1. How does Simpson's rule solve cubics exactly?

Simpson's rule is a mathematical method for approximating the area under a curve. By using this rule, we can find the exact solution for any cubic polynomial function, including those with complex roots.

2. Can Simpson's rule be used for any cubic polynomial?

Yes, Simpson's rule can be used to solve any cubic polynomial, regardless of the coefficients or roots of the equation.

3. Why is Simpson's rule useful for solving cubics?

Simpson's rule is useful because it provides a more accurate and precise solution compared to other methods, such as the quadratic formula. It also allows us to find the exact roots of a cubic equation, instead of just approximations.

4. Is it necessary to have knowledge of calculus to use Simpson's rule?

No, Simpson's rule can be applied without any prior knowledge of calculus. It only requires basic algebra skills to solve cubic equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Simpson's rule for solving cubics?

While Simpson's rule can provide an exact solution for cubics, it may become computationally intensive for equations with large coefficients or complex roots. In these cases, using other methods may be more efficient.