Simulate a Chopper of Class A circuit in MATLAB Simulink

In summary,-The circuit does not seem to be working as intended-The time constant of the field winding is not matching the stop time-The efficiency is more than 100%.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
Attached below.
Relevant Equations
-
1608777041015.png

1608777071978.png
1608777148059.png

I tried to simulate the circuit but I got unreliable results. Here's what I got when I set the duty cycle to be 20%:
Stop Time = 0.02

1608777870511.png

The efficiency is more than100%.

Here's the parameters:
1608778062680.png
1608778108596.png
1608778151023.png

Could someone please let me where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm definitely not an expert on this, but just looking at the numbers, these seem inconsistent.

What is the time constant of the Field winding?
How does that compare with the Stop Time?

Tom.G said:
I'm definitely not an expert on this, but just looking at the numbers, these seem inconsistent.

What is the time constant of the Field winding?
How does that compare with the Stop Time?
I modified the stop time and kept it equal to 10 sec. I got reasonable results. However, in the following part, I didn't.

To simulate a lift, let assume that the load torque is 20 Nm while going up and 10 Nm while going down as shown in figure 2(a). Also let the time of going up is 10 seconds and 10 seconds while going down. This can be done by gating the switches of figure 2 by the control blocks shown in figure 2(b).
1609109955313.png

Using figures 1 and 2, run the simulation for 20 s and record the machine speed, the power absorbed or generated by the machine, and the energy absorbed by the machine at times 9.999 seconds and 19.999 seconds respectively.

What are the differences of the speed and the output power in both cases (when t=9.999 and = 19.999 seconds) ?

Attachments

• 1609110059233.png
    1609110059233.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 184
Fatima Hasan said:
What are the differences of the speed and the output power in both cases (when t=9.999 and = 19.999 seconds) ?
I don't know, I haven't run the simulation and know nothing about either MATLAB or Simulink. I (think) I can understand the diagram fairly well and don't spot any major errors.

Something that stands out though is:
Fatima Hasan said:
...let assume that the load torque is 20 Nm while going up and 10 Nm while going down...
But the problem statement says:
Applied load torque (TL=10nm during motoring and -10nm during regeneration)

Oh, Just spotted a questionable entry in the Parameters entries. Specifically the
Initial speed (rad/s) shows "1". Does this mean the motor is already running when the simulation starts?

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Specifically the
Initial speed (rad/s) shows "1".
Even when I changed it, the results didn't change.
Also, the energy in both cases are negative. Is that reasonable?

The only thing I see is that the circuit in post #1 is different than the attached circuit in post # 5. If you are using the the circuit in post #1, try the one in post #5, it may give more realistic results.

I just put in a request for help on this. It may take a couple days for a response, but SOMEONE almost always does!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, it looked a little simpler when I first looked at the problem. :sad:

Hang in there, we'll get thru it!

Cheers,
Tom

Increase your stop time to say 50 secs. Initially, during transient time none of the values will be stable.

Secondly, don't you also need to include field winding voltage and current for input power calculation?

Thirdly, since you are input and/or output signals are chopped, you need to do an average the input and output power after the transient period and then calculate efficiency.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a Class A circuit?

A Class A circuit is a type of electronic circuit where the active device, such as a transistor or vacuum tube, is always conducting current. This means that the device is always "on" and is not turned off during any part of the input signal cycle.

2. How does a Class A circuit work?

In a Class A circuit, the active device is biased so that it is always conducting current. This allows for a linear amplification of the input signal, meaning that the output signal is an exact replica of the input signal, but with a larger amplitude.

3. What is the purpose of simulating a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink?

Simulating a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink allows for the analysis and optimization of the circuit's performance before physically building it. This can save time and resources, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the circuit's behavior.

4. How do you simulate a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink?

To simulate a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink, you will need to create a model of the circuit using blocks and components from the Simulink library. You will also need to define the input signal and any necessary parameters for the circuit. Once the model is built, you can run the simulation and analyze the results.

5. What are some potential challenges when simulating a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink?

Some potential challenges when simulating a Class A chopper in MATLAB Simulink include accurately modeling the circuit components, selecting appropriate simulation settings, and troubleshooting any errors or unexpected results. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the circuit and simulation tools in order to effectively simulate and analyze the circuit's behavior.