Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulink model of a hybrid vehicle (replace battery with fuel cell)

1. Oct 29, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like you are using the fuel cell to run the motor directly. I am not an expert on fuel cells but it may be difficult to match the energy demand of the motor during acceleration with the output characteristics of the fuel cell. The energy management system in a hybrid also charges the battery using dynamic braking. I don't think you can capture the vehicle's kinetic energy during braking with fuel cell. Perhaps you should look at combining a fuel cell with a battery in a purely electric vehicle and forget about the internal combustion engine.

AM

4. Jan 31, 2018 #3
    salutations,
    i need help from modeling supercapacitors and buck boost dc dc converter with simulink of matlab.

my problems is: how choise parameters from supercapacitors and converter ?

this block will be used for supply the inverter, and pmsm.
    cordialy

5. Jan 31, 2018 #4
    greetings.
    Thank you for your reply.

here you are right. during acceleration, supercapacitors must be used.

The energy management system in a hybrid also charges supercapacitors or batteries using dynamic braking.

right now I'm using a combination of a fuel cell with a pack of supercapacitors in an electric vehicle.
    I have a question if possible.

here is a pmsm of 50kw, what are the parameters of the fuel cell and supercapacitors to use?
    Cordially.

6. Jan 31, 2018 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

By "pmsm" do you mean switched-mode power supply (SMPS)?

And as for the parameters to start to use in your model, I would think you would start with the datasheets for each component, and figure out how best to model the component based on the datasheet numbers and plots.

7. Feb 1, 2018 #6
    Salutations.
    I néed help from how to choose the paramèters of under system which are fuel cell and bank of supercapacitors .
    Fuel cell is connected to a boost dc dc converter.
    Bank of supercapacitors is connected to a buck boost dc dc converter.
    Also i need help from how i choose the schema and its parameters from these two choppers.
    I use a permanent magnet synchronous motor (pmsm).
    I know parameters values from this motor.
    The blocks of fuel cell and bank of supercapacitors are recovered from simpowersystems in simulink library.
    Cordialy .

8. Feb 1, 2018 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

You are asking a HUGE question. also how you choose the parameters depends on what your requirements are

what is this for?
    what is the scale of the project?

9. Feb 2, 2018 #8
    Hi, and thank's for your reply donpacino.
    Yes it's a HUGE question. Sorry.
    For the moment i like use only the fuel cell connected from boost dc dc converter. This device will feed inverter which will feed the pmsm.
    So, now i need calculate parameters of fuel cell and boost dc dc converter.
    I now the parameters of inverter and pmsm.
    Cordialy.

10. Feb 2, 2018 #9

donpacino

Gold Member

no, i mean is this for a homework problem. is it theoretical. are you trying to actually build as.

As for the parameters, do you mean power consumption, expected parasitic?

You are essentially saying "hey design me a hydrogen fuel cell car"

11. Feb 2, 2018 #10

berkeman

NOTE -- Multiple threads on the same subject merged into one thread. @said76 -- Please stop creating multiple new threads on the same project.

12. Feb 2, 2018 #11
    Hi, berkeman,

I am sorry from the Multiple threads on the same subject .
    Cordialy.

13. Feb 2, 2018 #12
    for the pmsm "it is the synchronous motor with permanent magnets. for the fuel cell datasheets and the supercapacitor pack is that you have internet links on that?

14. Feb 2, 2018 #13

berkeman

I don't have any links to the datasheets. You should be able to use typical part numbers to find the datasheets at the manufacturers.

15. Feb 2, 2018 #14
    I want design in simulink a model of hybrid vehicle.

As for the parameters, i mean values in blocs.

16. Feb 2, 2018 #15

berkeman

I'm not familiar with Simulink, but I have worked with some other simulators. What is your level of expertise with Simulink? If you are asking us to do your schoolwork project for you, that's not going to happen (see the PF rules). If you have some experience with Simulink and are having trouble with specialized models, please tell us what type of models Simulink uses (FEA, State Space, other?), and post your initial attempts at modeling these components and systems.

17. Feb 3, 2018 #16
    I'm a beginner with Simulink. my level of expertise with Simulink is: initiation. No, I do not ask to make my project for me. I have difficulties, sizing blocks cobstituant my global system. I can send you figures of the block in question. for the experience with Simulink I have some and I have problems with sub models. which are retrieved as blocks from the simulink library. the type of Simulink models currently being used by simpowersystems. ok I will publish my first attempts to model these components and systems. Cordially.

18. Feb 3, 2018 #17
    it is my model.

Attached Files:

19. Feb 3, 2018 #18
    the electric motor (PMSM) data are:
    number of phases: 3;
    Stator phase resistance Rs (ohm): 0.091;
    Inductances (Henry) [Ld (H) Lq (H)]: [0.001597972349731, 0.002057052250467];
    Linkage flux (Weber): 0.175666143629361;

20. Feb 3, 2018 #19
    I did the simulation and I noticed the power of the pack of supercapacitors.
    here is the figure.

Attached Files:

21. Feb 3, 2018 #20
    Well we can not measure the power of the pmsm because it is not loaded.
    So I'm going to connect him to a vehicle model.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted