1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin 0?

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    Teacher assigned this on first day due tomorrow and i have no clue on some like this one:

Sin 0=Ry/Rx a.) solve for Ry
    b.) solve for Rx
    c.) solve for 0

????

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there anymore information you can provide? Is that actually Sin(0)? Did you attempt to solve it on your own? Have you tried the inverse function?

Anyway, if it really is 0 then it should be obvious. Ry would have to be zero. Rx is then any real which is not equal to zero. Rewriting the equation as arcsin(Ry/Rx) = 0 will demonstrate this as well. I'm saying this because part of me doesn't believe that is really supposed to be sin(0), instead it's probably theta.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Aug 7, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can make absolutely no sense out of "solve for 0"! That would be like saying "solve for 2".

I strongly suspect that was supposed to be [itex]sin(\theta)= R_y/R_x[/itex] and your teacher (or you!) missed the horizontal line on the [itex]\theta[/itex].

To "solve for y", multiply both sides by [itex]R_x[/itex]. To "solve for x" one method is to first invert both sides, getting [itex]1/sin(\theta)= R_x/R_y[/itex] and then multiply both sides by [itex]R_y[/itex]. To "solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]" take the inverse sin (arcos or [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex]) of both sides.

5. Aug 9, 2014 #4
    Thanks this really helped and he did correct it that the 0 was theta

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted