What is the solution for Ry in Sin 0=Ry/Rx when given values for Rx and theta?

• Thread starter niknak98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation revolves around the equation Sin 0 = Ry/Rx and how to solve for different variables such as Ry, Rx, and 0. There is confusion about whether the 0 is meant to be theta and the steps to solve for each variable are explained. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the 0 was indeed intended to be theta.
niknak98
Teacher assigned this on first day due tomorrow and i have no clue on some like this one:

Sin 0=Ry/Rx a.) solve for Ry
b.) solve for Rx
c.) solve for 0

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anymore information you can provide? Is that actually Sin(0)? Did you attempt to solve it on your own? Have you tried the inverse function?

Anyway, if it really is 0 then it should be obvious. Ry would have to be zero. Rx is then any real which is not equal to zero. Rewriting the equation as arcsin(Ry/Rx) = 0 will demonstrate this as well. I'm saying this because part of me doesn't believe that is really supposed to be sin(0), instead it's probably theta.

Last edited:
I can make absolutely no sense out of "solve for 0"! That would be like saying "solve for 2".

I strongly suspect that was supposed to be [itex]sin(\theta)= R_y/R_x[/itex] and your teacher (or you!) missed the horizontal line on the [itex]\theta[/itex].

To "solve for y", multiply both sides by [itex]R_x[/itex]. To "solve for x" one method is to first invert both sides, getting [itex]1/sin(\theta)= R_x/R_y[/itex] and then multiply both sides by [itex]R_y[/itex]. To "solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]" take the inverse sin (arcos or [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex]) of both sides.

HallsofIvy said:
I can make absolutely no sense out of "solve for 0"! That would be like saying "solve for 2".

I strongly suspect that was supposed to be [itex]sin(\theta)= R_y/R_x[/itex] and your teacher (or you!) missed the horizontal line on the [itex]\theta[/itex].

To "solve for y", multiply both sides by [itex]R_x[/itex]. To "solve for x" one method is to first invert both sides, getting [itex]1/sin(\theta)= R_x/R_y[/itex] and then multiply both sides by [itex]R_y[/itex]. To "solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]" take the inverse sin (arcos or [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex]) of both sides.

Thanks this really helped and he did correct it that the 0 was theta

1. What is the meaning of "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry"?

The equation "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry" is a mathematical representation of the relationship between two sides of a right triangle, where Ry is the length of the side opposite the angle 0 and Rx is the length of the adjacent side. Solving for Ry allows us to find the length of the side opposite the given angle.

2. How do you solve for Ry in the equation "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry"?

To solve for Ry, we can multiply both sides of the equation by Rx, giving us Rx * Sin 0 = Ry. Then, we can divide both sides by Sin 0, leaving us with Ry = Rx * Sin 0. This means that the length of the side opposite the angle 0 is equal to the length of the adjacent side (Rx) multiplied by the sine of the angle (Sin 0).

3. What is the significance of "sin" in the equation "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry"?

"Sin" stands for the sine function, which is a trigonometric function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. In this equation, the sine of the angle 0 (Sin 0) represents the ratio between the length of the side opposite the angle (Ry) and the length of the hypotenuse (Rx).

4. Can the equation "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry" be used for any triangle?

No, this equation can only be used for right triangles. In other types of triangles, the relationship between angles and sides is more complex and cannot be represented by a single equation.

5. How can "Sin 0=Ry/Rx solve for Ry" be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to solve problems involving right triangles. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a building or the distance between two points by measuring angles and side lengths.