Sin(x) = 0 iff x = kpi for some k in Z

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to show that sin(x) = 0 if and only if x/\pi is an integer. The definitions of sin and cos in terms of complex numbers are given, along with some useful properties such as the power series definition and trigonometric identities. The proof for the \Leftarrow direction is done using induction and the fact that sin(-x) = -sin(x). For the \Rightarrow direction, the contrapositive is used by writing x as k\pi + r for some integer k and 0 < r <\pi and using the addition formula for sin. Another possible approach is to continually take away pi from k\pi until it becomes 0, showing that sin(x) =
mattmns
Well the title is basically the question.
--------
Show that sin(x) = 0 if and only if [itex]x/\pi[/itex] is an integer.
--------

Some definitions.

Let z be a complex number, then:

[tex]\cos(z) = \frac{e^{iz} + e^{-iz}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sin(z) = \frac{e^{iz} - e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]

We also have the power series definition, though I don't think it would be helpful here.

We have already proved the following, if they may be of use (most likely c,d, e):

(a) We have [itex]\sin^2(z) + \cos^2(z) = 1[/itex].

(b) We have [itex]\sin'(x) = \cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos'(x) = -\sin(x)[/itex].

(c) We have [itex]\sin(-x) = -\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(-x) = \cos(x)[/itex].

(d) We have [itex]\cos(x+y) = \cos(x)\cos(y) - \sin(x)\sin(y)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(x+y) = \sin(x)\cos(y) + \cos(x)\sin(y)[/itex]

(e) We have [itex]\sin(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\cos(0) = 1[/itex].

(f) We have [itex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ix} = \cos(x) - i\sin(x)[/itex]

Also we proved in the previous part of this exercise that [itex]\cos(x+ \pi) = -\cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(x+ \pi) = -\sin(x)[/itex].

And we define [itex]\pi = \inf\{x\in (0,\infty): sin(x) = 0\}[/itex]

---------

For the problem, I think the [itex]\Leftarrow[/itex] is proved with a simple induction argument and using that [itex]\sin(-x) = -\sin(x)[/itex]. Though, if you have an interesting way to do it, please share :smile:

However, the [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] direction is seeming to give me some trouble. Any ideas here?

edit... I just got the wild idea of proving the contrapositive which seems like it would work well. If we write [itex]x= k\pi + r[/itex] for some [itex]0 < r <\pi[/itex]. Then use the addition formula for sin to finally get sin(x) = 0 + sin(r). Which cannot be 0 since we know that [itex]\pi[/itex] is the smallest positive number with sin(x) = 0. Sounds good to me. Always fun to come up with an idea after posting some huge mess :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heres an argument that may have also worked -

for any k in Z, k*pi can be written as pi + pi + pi +pi ...k times.

Every time we took away a pi, it would become -sin(x), then take away another pi, sin x again. Keep doing that until eventually there are no pi's left, - sin 0= sin 0 = 0.

1. What does "Sin(x) = 0" mean?

When we say "Sin(x) = 0", it means that the sine function of the angle x is equal to 0. In other words, the value of the sine of x is 0.

2. What does "x = kpi" mean?

Here, x is a variable and k is an integer. When we say "x = kpi", it means that x is equal to some multiple of pi (π). For example, if k = 2, then x = 2pi.

3. What does "for some k in Z" mean?

The letter Z represents the set of all integers (positive, negative, and zero). So, when we say "for some k in Z", it means that k can take on any integer value.

4. What is the significance of "Sin(x) = 0 iff x = kpi for some k in Z"?

This statement is a mathematical representation of the fact that the sine function has certain values (0, 1, -1) at specific angles (0, π/2, π), and these values repeat at regular intervals of pi. It helps us understand the behavior of the sine function and its relationship with angles.

5. How is this concept used in science?

The concept of "Sin(x) = 0 iff x = kpi for some k in Z" is used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps in understanding and calculating the properties of waves, such as sound and light, which can be represented by sinusoidal functions. It also has applications in solving differential equations and analyzing periodic phenomena in nature.