1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single Slit Problem

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light from a helium neon laser with wavelength 633nm is incident on a single slit. What is the largest slit width for which there are no minima in the diffraction pattern?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For single slit diffraction, asin(theta)=p*lambda, where a= slit width, and p= 1,2,3...

So I know that when the slit width is smaller than the wavelength, no minima occur, but ?
    what about when it is equal?

I'll try out some numbers: say the slit width is 6.33e-7 m, the same as the wavelength. Then I will find the angular position of the first minimum:

(6.33e-7)sin(theta)=(1)(6.33e-7)t
    theta has to be equal to 90 degrees, which I don't think can be possible. So the wavelength has to be less than 633 nm.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    Actually, I think that when the slit width is equal to the wavelength, then the light spreads to fill the region behind the opening. Therefore, I think that the largest the wavelength can be is 633 nm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?