Singlet state

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
Hello! I got a bit confused about the fact that the whole the description of spin (and angular momentum) is done in the z direction. So, if we are told that a system of 2 particles is in a singlet state i.e. $$\frac{\uparrow \downarrow -\downarrow \uparrow }{2}$$ does this mean that measuring the spin of the first one on ##\textbf{any}## axis (not only z) will ensure that measuring the spin of the second one will give the opposite result? Or is this form true only for the z axis, and if we want to check on other axis, we need to project the up and down of the z axis onto the orthonormal basis of this other system of axis and work from there? Thank you!

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The correctly normalized singlet state is
$$|S=0,M=0 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2 \rangle-|1/2,+1/2 \rangle).$$
It's true that if measuring the spin component in an arbitrary direction of particle 1 then the spin component of particle 2 in the same direction is opposite. It doesn't matter which basis you use to describe the spin-singlet state. The reason is that for total spin ##S=0## the state doesn't change under rotations, i.e., you cannot distinguish any spin direction from any other.