Sink or Float, Any other water like compounds ?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a compound that, like water, has a solid state that is less dense than its liquid state. The initial challenge was posed by the speaker's lecturer and they became obsessed with finding the answer. They had previously suggested silicon dioxide, but were unable to provide conclusive evidence. The person then posted the question to a group and was given the answer of Gallium, but then specified that it had to be a compound, not just an element. The conversation also briefly touched on the different names for a case of beer in different countries.
bartieshaw
Im not sure if anything like this has been posted before, and I am not sure if this was the right place to post the question, ao i apologise in advance if i make anyone angry...

at the beginning of the year my lecturer posted the challenge to find another compound which, like water, was lese dense in its solide state than in its liquid state.

now this question is not for marks or extra credit or anything (just a slab of beer), and at the beginning of the year i became rather obsessed with the challenge...many hours searching the net. However, exams came around and i have only just recently thought about it again.

the best thing i could come up with at the time was silicon dioxide, it had been mentioned on many sites, but i couldn't conclusively provide evidence eg. Data sheets showing density both as solid and liquid...

so i post the question, can anyone here think of a compound, which like water has a solid state that is more dense than its liquid state...?

Physics news on Phys.org
A slab of beer? Do you buy it frozen? :bugeye:

Danger said:

Frozen beer should be less dense than liquid beer, shame it's not a compound as such. :smile:

Come to think of it, if I were given this challenge, the first thing I'd check up on is hydrogen peroxide. Anyone?

Last edited:
Danger said:

haha...
no in australia we call a case i think it would be for you (4 x 6 packs) a slab of beer...though i do love my beer cold :)

bartieshaw said:
haha...
no in australia we call a case i think it would be for you (4 x 6 packs) a slab of beer...though i do love my beer cold :)
Oh. That's what we Canuks call a 'flat', although cans also come in 12, 15, 24 or 30 packs that are a lot easier to carry. And my brand, Keiths, for some reason comes in 8-packs instead of 6's (with a little carry handle moulded in).

1. Can all objects sink or float in water?

No, not all objects can sink or float in water. The density of the object and the density of the water it is placed in determine whether it will sink or float.

2. What is the difference between an object that sinks and an object that floats?

The main difference between an object that sinks and an object that floats is their density. Objects with a higher density than water will sink, while objects with a lower density will float.

3. Can any other liquid besides water cause objects to sink or float?

Yes, any liquid can cause objects to sink or float. The density of the liquid will determine whether the object sinks or floats.

4. How can I determine if an object will sink or float in a certain liquid?

You can determine if an object will sink or float by comparing the density of the object to the density of the liquid. If the object's density is greater than the liquid's density, it will sink. If the object's density is less than the liquid's density, it will float.

5. Can temperature affect whether an object sinks or floats?

Yes, temperature can affect an object's density, which in turn can affect whether it sinks or floats. As temperature increases, the density of liquids decreases, causing objects to float more easily. However, this may not always be the case, as temperature can also affect the size or shape of an object, which can also impact its density.