Sinusoidal path of light video

In summary, the conversation discusses a gif showing a sinusoidal path within a transparent tube, which is caused by total internal reflection and scattering of light. It is believed that the tube has a curved inner surface, which causes the refraction angle to change and gives the appearance of a sine wave. There may also be a coating on the tube to prevent scratching. It is suggested that the object in the gif is not a tube, but a rod with a tapered refractive index, similar to an optical fibre, and different modes can be excited by changing the direction of the wave launched into it.
Puma
Science news on Phys.org
Hmmm, I'm guessing that there is total internal reflection occurring inside the transparent tube. The inner surface appears to be slightly curved. IMO, those are straight lines between the reflection points, and it's not exactly sinusoidal. I'm not certain though.

Likes 256bits
I think that sums it up. Total internal reflection for the light traveling right to left. The reason we see the green light is that some scattering of the beam is occurring within the tube - otherwise it would be invisible. The scattered light, to reach out eye, has to travel through the tube material and the air, and in doing so, is refracted as it changes media. Since the tube is curved, as it appears to be, the refraction angle changes from the middle of the tube to the top surface, giving the appearance of a sine-wave ( instead of a triangle wave ).

Likes PWiz
I think you are right, but I think also there must be some kind of coating as the light seems to get trapped into the exterior. Coating clear acrylics is quite common I believe to prevent scratching.

Puma said:
I think you are right, but I think also there must be some kind of coating as the light seems to get trapped into the exterior. Coating clear acrylics is quite common I believe to prevent scratching.
It looks as if it is not a tube but a rod having tapered refractive index, in the same way as an optical fibre. Various modes can be excited by altering the direction of the wave launched into the waveguide by using a laser.

Likes Puma

1. What is a sinusoidal path of light video?

A sinusoidal path of light video is a type of visual representation that shows the movement of light in a sinusoidal or wave-like pattern. It is often used to demonstrate the properties of light, such as refraction and reflection.

2. How is a sinusoidal path of light video created?

A sinusoidal path of light video is typically created by directing a beam of light through a medium, such as water or glass, and capturing the movement of the light with a high-speed camera. The captured footage is then played back at a slower speed to highlight the sinusoidal pattern.

3. What can we learn from a sinusoidal path of light video?

A sinusoidal path of light video can teach us about the behavior of light and how it interacts with different materials. It can also help us understand concepts such as wave motion and the properties of different wavelengths of light.

4. What are the applications of a sinusoidal path of light video?

Sinusoidal path of light videos have various applications in fields such as physics, optics, and engineering. They can help scientists and researchers study and understand the properties of light, as well as aid in the design and development of optical devices.

5. Are there any limitations to a sinusoidal path of light video?

While a sinusoidal path of light video can provide valuable insights into the behavior of light, it is important to note that it is a simplified representation and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Factors such as the medium through which the light is passing and the angle of incidence can affect the outcome of the video. Therefore, caution should be taken when drawing conclusions solely based on these videos.